• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 277 - Fuel Issues, not starting - Pic attached - Please help :)

Lobell355

Occupation
Property Manager
Hi all, I am having a very tough time with my Cat 277. It was running great up until the other day when I tried to get it going in the cold. Had some problems getting it going and then it just didn't want to run right. It seemed like the engine was not getting enough fuel as even when I pushed the throttle all the way in the engine didn't rev up, or only revved slightly. Then the fuel filter light in the cab came on so I shut the machine off and went to get a new fuel filter from CAT.

They gave me 2 filters and said I needed both of them. I changed the one filter as seen in the picture (link below for the picture) labeled fuel filer (it was the same exact part number as the old filter). I can not seem to find the other filter that the diagram shows and they gave me. The two filters look similar but have different part numbers. If anyone has a picture of where exactly the second fuel filter is that would be great.

So I changed the fuel filter I could find, poured fuel into the filter before installing it but after I got it back on, I went ahead and tried to prime it using the pump primer (labeled in picture) and it did not feel like and fuel was being pushed though the lines. I took the filter off and tired to use the primer to see if any fuel was coming out, and nothing!

I am assuming that this is a gravity fed fuel system so I took off Fuel line #1 (pictured) and fuel line #2 (pictures) and only a few drops of fuel came out of each hose. I was expecting fuel to be pouring out. Am I wrong and there is a mechanical fuel pump?

Maybe I need to find that other "hidden" lol filter that I can find as its clogged or there is an issue further upline before the fuel lines get to the primer pump and filter I changed?

This is my first time trying to change out the fuel filters and work on the CAT277 so any and all information and pictures would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

Link to image below:
http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cat277.jpg

Per Eriksson

The second filter should sit right next to the other one bolted to the frame.
Maybe a previous owner had it removed?

The tank has it's suction line going out through the top so it wont come fuel at the filters by gravity.

When you are pumping it might be that the engine is in a position that has the priming pump almost at the end of its stroke so try turning the motor over a bit and see if it makes your pumping more efficient.

Lobell355

Occupation
Property Manager
Hi, thanks for the response. We are the original owners of the machine so I don't think anyone ever removed the second filter. Should it have been in that picture that I posted and is just missing?

I tired to "start" turn over the engine a few times and did try the primer as it mentioned something in the book about that, but no luck.

I'm kinda dumbfounded I cant find the second filter and that the primer isn't even working...Can something possible be clogged in the tank or very rare?

Per Eriksson

remove the fule line1 going to the primer pump and blow in it, it should make bubbles in the tank if the passages are free.

The setup should be like this, tank - water separator/debri filter(131-1812) - priming pump - fine filter(159-6102) - injection pump - back to tank via the fine filter base.

Lobell355

Occupation
Property Manager
WOOHOO! Thanks a ton. So I took of line #1 blew into it and it was pretty hard to blow into, kept going and then started to hear the air and bubbles. stopped blow and fuel came pouring out. Shoved it back onto the fitting, tightened up the clamp and stated it up.

Sounds great, runs great, no issues at all.

Thanks!!!!

Per Eriksson

Consider putting a filter in before the priming pump, as you have it now any crap coming from the tank goes straight trough the pump and ends up in the fine filter.

A simple inline filter like the ones on a car is better than nothing, they are clear so you can se if it gets clogged.

Lobell355

Occupation
Property Manager
Thanks, good idea I'll pick one up at Autozone today. I'm dumbfounded why I dont have the second filter there like it should be.