• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 259d or 289d Deere 323e

dmaxlb7

The 259 packs a lot of performance in a small package. One of my favorite machines to run. Power to weight ratio etc is very good. I would definitely recommend you demo one before you make your purchase. If it can't handle what your throwing at it I agree. Go with the 299XHP. Just my 2 cents fwiw.

cptotr

They are bringing a new 259 down to try out from one of their other stores Monday or Tuesday. Sounded like it had all the options so I'll try it out and see how it performs.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
I took delivery of my second 259D high Flow forestry pavkage equipped CAT just 30 minutes ago. I own and operate a fleet of 299 XHP units and can't think of a machine any better than the BIG CAT but pound for pound, dollars for dollars we are lovin the 259 D tractors .....Only wish we had the steel under carriage on them. I'll try to get steel under them in the Spring. Pictures coming Tomorrow . Stay tune to this channel...

cptotr

Pretty much decided on the 259 we're just a little off on price. I thought I had mine sold and I was ready to jump on the outright price. However, since it didn't sell the trade they're giving me is terrible, so not really sure what to do. Now the dealer is trying to push a lease on me. Hasn't giving me any numbers yet as to what the payments would be, but curious to see if any of you guys have done a lease. If so, what are you guys thoughts on them?

movindirt

Pretty much decided on the 259 we're just a little off on price. I thought I had mine sold and I was ready to jump on the outright price. However, since it didn't sell the trade they're giving me is terrible, so not really sure what to do. Now the dealer is trying to push a lease on me. Hasn't giving me any numbers yet as to what the payments would be, but curious to see if any of you guys have done a lease. If so, what are you guys thoughts on them?

Will they lease whats left after you trade in your old machine? I know at some points of the year they offer 0% financing as well. Our Cat salesman explained the whole lease deal to me a month or so ago, didn't seem like that great of a deal in the long run to me. If I had to chose I would probably finance rather then lease, I've heard Cat financial is pretty good to work with. just my 2¢..

cptotr

259 is hands down the most comfortable machine I've ran and I really wanted to own one, but put it to the test today and it failed. One of the more common things we move on the job site weighs 3500 lbs and it would pick it up just fine, but if you had to back up it would tip over every time. Tried to post a pic but couldn't find a link to let me post it.

I guess the search continues. Looks like I'm going to have to either go back to deere and do the 323e or try the kubota svl 75. Didn't really want to go deere but they're giving me the best deal and keep talking about how much better the e series is with the yanmar and stronger hydraulics. Not sure if I believe it or not. Kubota is close on their initial pricing but haven't ran one and they're an hour away. Said they'll bring a demo to me but not sure what to think about them.

Kind of seems like there are positives and negatives to all of them and you just have to figure out which negatives impact you the least.

Thanks everyone for your help so far. Was really close with the cat 259 and it would be very good for just about everything else, but the lift capacity is a bit of a deal killer.

pafarmer

Occupation
259 is hands down the most comfortable machine I've ran and I really wanted to own one, but put it to the test today and it failed. One of the more common things we move on the job site weighs 3500 lbs and it would pick it up just fine, but if you had to back up it would tip over every time. Tried to post a pic but couldn't find a link to let me post it.

I guess the search continues. Looks like I'm going to have to either go back to deere and do the 323e or try the kubota svl 75. Didn't really want to go deere but they're giving me the best deal and keep talking about how much better the e series is with the yanmar and stronger hydraulics. Not sure if I believe it or not. Kubota is close on their initial pricing but haven't ran one and they're an hour away. Said they'll bring a demo to me but not sure what to think about them.

Kind of seems like there are positives and negatives to all of them and you just have to figure out which negatives impact you the least.

Thanks everyone for your help so far. Was really close with the cat 259 and it would be very good for just about everything else, but the lift capacity is a bit of a deal killer.

Interesting !
Did the 259D that you Demo'ed have the optional counterweigh package installed ? Makes a difference. The machine should have two weighs per side on the rear of the machine. Although 3500 lbs is a big ask for the 259D, it should be able to lift and move but you are certainly past the rated specs of the machines capabilities by a small amount....Did you try out a 299XHP or TAK TL12 yet ? Both are big track loaders and very powerful machines.

Last edited:

cptotr

That's a good point. It did not have the counterweights installed. I should probably ask about that and see how much those weigh and how much lift capacity it gives you. I feel like if that front idler wasn't suspended it would probably handle it. It just seems to squat on that front idler and put it at a quick disadvantage. I'm just afraid I can't justify the big 299xhp. $$$. I wish I could though! I haven't tried the tak mainly because of them being radial lift machines, but not entirely sure that matters to me that much anyways. We don't load trucks with it all that much. Something to think about. The 289 did everything I wanted it to in terms of lift and has me wondering if maybe the one I tried had an issue that made it seemed very underpowered in the drive motors in anything but dry hard packed dirt. I was really hoping to have this thing done and purchased by now.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
That's a good point. It did not have the counterweights installed. I should probably ask about that and see how much those weigh and how much lift capacity it gives you. I feel like if that front idler wasn't suspended it would probably handle it. It just seems to squat on that front idler and put it at a quick disadvantage. I'm just afraid I can't justify the big 299xhp. $$$. I wish I could though! I haven't tried the tak mainly because of them being radial lift machines, but not entirely sure that matters to me that much anyways. We don't load trucks with it all that much. Something to think about. The 289 did everything I wanted it to in terms of lift and has me wondering if maybe the one I tried had an issue that made it seemed very underpowered in the drive motors in anything but dry hard packed dirt. I was really hoping to have this thing done and purchased by now.

That is the down side of the torsion suspension. Great ride but there are applications where it is a disadvantage. Check out TK's new vertical lift loader. It is beast and maybe too much machine for what you need since 259 seems just a tad to small. I am pricing one out myself. The cab is much improved.

pafarmer

Occupation

I have lifted a dozen 4200 lbs. jersey barrier off a trailer and set them in place with the 259D....I have the counter weighs on mine. So it will lift and carrier what you are describing....moving on now....best of luck to you...

06Pete

Try the Takeuchi they are why stronger than what else I have ran. I have 2 240's and love them the reach for being radial lift is amazing they reach way more than my old 257 did and easily load my tri axles. their is little I have tried to lift that it wont and power to the tracks is no problem. They do have their problems as all machines do like rough ride and a single flanged idler but the roll up door and power make up for it, overall I feel it was the best machine on the market for my operation when I purchased. My dealer is over a hour away and after 4+ years of owning I think I have been their once for parts and no warranty claims.

Reactions: LDK

Frameslawn

Cptotr,

Did you ever decide on a unit to purchase. I have also been looking at the 323E and Cat 259D and any helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

cptotr

Cptotr,

Did you ever decide on a unit to purchase. I have also been looking at the 323E and Cat 259D and any helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I bought a 259d. I can't tell you how much happier I am with this machine over my last deere as well as a as the 323e that I demoed extensively. The front idler suspension takes a little getting used to, but other than that I am extremely happy. It's quiet, has plenty of power, and have had absolutely zero issues in the 400 hours we've put on it since we bought it. My 323d was in the shop 3-4 times in the first 400 hours and at least that many in the next 400. We had to have deere mechanic come out to the job twice on my demo. Not sure what you're using your machine for, but ours works great for what we do. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Frameslawn

I bought a 259d. I can't tell you how much happier I am with this machine over my last deere as well as a as the 323e that I demoed extensively. The front idler suspension takes a little getting used to, but other than that I am extremely happy. It's quiet, has plenty of power, and have had absolutely zero issues in the 400 hours we've put on it since we bought it. My 323d was in the shop 3-4 times in the first 400 hours and at least that many in the next 400. We had to have deere mechanic come out to the job twice on my demo. Not sure what you're using your machine for, but ours works great for what we do. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Thanks for the good info. Did you end up with the counter weights and did that make much difference in the lifting power.

Thanks

Cpaine

Hi, new here and looking at CTL's.

The 259D is my main focus at the moment so this read what very helpful!

I assume you went with the rear counterweights?

Any more input would be great!

MH110

I've spent a lot of time in a rental CAT259 on multiple occasions. I was doing some brush clearing on a slope, I backed up a pretty steep hill with the mower off and nearly stalled the motor, so based on that information, wouldn't the 289 stall sooner due to it being heavier or are the hydraulics different? I probably need to consider a CAT299 instead of the 289...we don't traverse steep hills like this very often though.

I was in a CAT242D last week and I was a little disappointed in the power driving into sand and dirt piles with a 66" smooth bucket. I know it's a different machine, wheeled vs track and a little lighter, but it does have the same 74HP motor.

On the flip side, we also were using a CAT226D on the same project and that thing was a little rocket, it didn't feel underpowered at all. It has the smaller 2.2L motor.

My only real options are CAT and Deere due to dealers being minutes away and rest being much further, so I guess I need to get some time on a Cat299 and Deere 333G.

heymccall

I've got the SVL75 & SVL75-2. And 2 TL150 machines.

I've had next to zero issues with the Kubotas. The TL150s, OTOH, have had gremlins here and there.
I've never had either Kubota at the dealer, or had a dealer out on them.

Visibility, serviceability, flip up windshield are all big pluses. Make sure to get the low profile, long floor bucket.
Only issue of consequence is the AC sucks dirt around every seal, when running window open.