• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 259d ECM wiring schematic

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Before continuing, read what HMC posted above VERY carefully..............
The thing is, to remove the DPF, the engine has to be pulled.
This line of machines is proof of the old adage of trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. Nothing is easy to access, especially the DPF which came along a decade after the product was first introduced and is therefore an add-on.

It's been posted before that there are companies around who open and clean DPFs then reassemble, or in some cases do an exchange programme for them. Does the possibility exist that you could R&I the engine and replace/service the DPF, then take the machine to the dealer and have them erase the DPF Codes.? All the necessary R&I procedures are available so it's not like you would have to go into it blind.
Then it will need reset with cat ET. And the version you need has to be the CAT software which is very expensive. The plug to connect to the machine and PC is $400 and the software is around $6600.
I'm not sure that is 100% correct. The version of ET that is available to a customer is not the all-singing all-dancing Dealer version, and I'm almost certain it needs the dealer version to reset Codes generated by things like the DPF. Customers cannot buy the Dealer version of ET, at least not officially.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
You won't be cutting out that DPF without removal of the engine regardless. Unfortunately it is about a 20 hour job. A guy who's done a few of them can get it down into 17-18 hour range.

Too frequent regens can either be due to a faulty sensor reading or from the engine itself. Last time I had one of those machines throwing a code for too frequent regens it was because it was dusted and burning oil.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
A general question about the 3000 hr DPF service. Does it normally require RR engine and replace the DPF, or is that due to component failure? I have a 289D with the same engine, (I believe) the guy I bought it from said Cat had to do a service at roughly 3000 hrs, but I didn't get the idea it was an 8k project. Not that it would surprise me . . .
Mine has about 2400hrs and currently has no issues, just wondering how many pennies I should start stashing away :confused:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
A general question about the 3000 hr DPF service. Does it normally require RR engine and replace the DPF, or is that due to component failure? I have a 289D with the same engine, (I believe) the guy I bought it from said Cat had to do a service at roughly 3000 hrs, but I didn't get the idea it was an 8k project. Not that it would surprise me . . .
Mine has about 2400hrs and currently has no issues, just wondering how many pennies I should start stashing away :confused:
I've done it pulling the engine and on the 279D/289D I've done it by lifting the cab and removing the dividing wall. Each method takes about the same amount of time. I just hate removing the rads and trying to spline the pump back into the engine.

Honestly its not an overly difficult job. Only bad thing is you'll need ET to reset the DPF info in the ECM. Also, I believe it has the DPF serial numbers programmed in as well so if one where to do it themselves they'd need to ensure they write that info down. S/N is pretty much inaccessible once installed IIRC.

Acoals

Occupation
I've done it pulling the engine and on the 279D/289D I've done it by lifting the cab and removing the dividing wall. Each method takes about the same amount of time. I just hate removing the rads and trying to spline the pump back into the engine.

Honestly its not an overly difficult job. Only bad thing is you'll need ET to reset the DPF info in the ECM. Also, I believe it has the DPF serial numbers programmed in as well so if one where to do it themselves they'd need to ensure they write that info down. S/N is pretty much inaccessible once installed IIRC.

What exactly needs to be done though? Does the DPF just get removed and replaced, or is it taken out to clean and then reinstalled?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
What exactly needs to be done though? Does the DPF just get removed and replaced, or is it taken out to clean and then reinstalled?
Normally just a cleaning and reinstall. Cat does offer reman units IIRC.

Its actually a 3 piece assembly. DOC, DPF and the outlet. You'd have to split them into their individual sections for cleaning. More or less just a handful of gaskets and possibly temperature sensors as they sometimes break off in the DPF. Pretty much all the parts you'll need. Highly advise checking the drive coupler if you have the engine out, they often are starting to show signs of fatigue after 3000 hours.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
The thing is, to remove the DPF, the engine has to be pulled. You would think that it could be taken out easier than that but cat wants 20 hrs labor and $4k for the filter job. They said the machine stopped going into regen because it will only cycle so many times before it throws the code for the filter being clogged. If i do the delete, i can cut the old DPF out and won't have to remove the engine. Then straight pipe it. The emulator will tell the ecm that the pressure and temps in the DPF are within range and the alarms will go away. I'm obviously no expert, this is the just of what i have found with my research.. I figured worst case. I'll spend about $7k on cat's ET software and an adaptor for my laptop to cat 9 pin

Pull it yourself... it’s not that hard

edit: not sure why the photo loaded upside down...

Attachments

• C5C9767F-4E64-4726-B4CD-19C0D6C86BA5.jpeg
    C5C9767F-4E64-4726-B4CD-19C0D6C86BA5.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
B1664506-75BD-4214-8023-3864A59DF0B6.jpeg As someone already said, pulling the motor will also give you a chance to replace this piece of shite... not sure what they were thinking when they designed this thing

Acoals

Occupation
Normally just a cleaning and reinstall. Cat does offer reman units IIRC.

Its actually a 3 piece assembly. DOC, DPF and the outlet. You'd have to split them into their individual sections for cleaning. More or less just a handful of gaskets and possibly temperature sensors as they sometimes break off in the DPF. Pretty much all the parts you'll need. Highly advise checking the drive coupler if you have the engine out, they often are starting to show signs of fatigue after 3000 hours.

How is the cleaning done? Is it something done by Cat in a machine or something, or can it be done manually?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
How is the cleaning done? Is it something done by Cat in a machine or something, or can it be done manually?
Cat will probably try to sell you another DPF. There's places everywhere that clean them, just type it in Google and it'll probably give you a few places local to you that will do it.

trex70

He
Hey guys, first time posting. I just got an emulator for DPF system on my 2015 Cat 259d and i am looking for the ECM wiring schematic. I'm trying to tie into Pin EB37, EB17, the GND and +15 terminal (ignition signal)

Thanks in advance!!
Hey did you eve
r find eb 37 eb 17 ? I am trying to do the same