• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 259d ECM wiring schematic

Hey guys, first time posting. I just got an emulator for DPF system on my 2015 Cat 259d and i am looking for the ECM wiring schematic. I'm trying to tie into Pin EB37, EB17, the GND and +15 terminal (ignition signal)

Thanks in advance!!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF brandon;)!

The CAT Guru's will need the machine serial. number to get you the proper information.

Is the moficiation you want to instal somehow related to defeating a mandatory emissions-control device.? It sounds very much like it to me.
yes installing an emulator. machine has 1600 hrs and DPF is already clogged. Cat wants 20 hrs labor and $4k for new filter. It's an off road machine so i didn't think it was mandatory. Figured it was just something cat wanted to bless us with from the factory haha

If you get caught by the wrong person it could be very bad. If it ever goes back to the Cat dealer there's a possibility the EPA will find out.
oh i hear ya. My cat dealer said they don't blame me if i do a delete because of how outrageous the costs are. For the cost of replacing the filter one time, i can buy Cat ET and a scan tool. They told me at cat that it isn't illegal if it is for off road use only here in kansas but that they won't be able to do any DPF work on it if it is deleted.. I'm sure other states are different but i also did my own research last night and i came up with the same conclusion.

Last edited:

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Isn't there a factory scheduled service interval on the DPF on that engine? I think it is 3000hrs, but if you idle a lot or use other poor operating practices it will plug up sooner.

There are specific EPA regulations for what are referred to as "non-road engines". They are out there on the interweb. I'm sure yours falls into that category but if you choose to believe otherwise then knock yourself out.

i don't know what to believe any more. I just know that an $8400 DPF filter job on my machine that has 1600 hrs is just short of highway robbery.. I guess worse case i'll have to buy a good scan tool and buy ET and fix it myself. Which i can get both for cheaper than what cat wants to replace the filter one time. Which obviously replacing the filter is just to get by for another couple thousand hours and then do it all over again..... The emulator was $780 shipped and i'm going to cut the DPF out which doesn't involve pulling the motor, and then straight pipe it. As if EGR's weren't enough to hit us in the pocket book before, now all this stuff. Not trying to sound like a complainer, i use these machines daily to make money and i'm already absorbing labor costs to try and alleviate some of the costs to beat the competition. A lot of my customers just can't afford to get any work done

Isn't there a factory scheduled service interval on the DPF on that engine? I think it is 3000hrs, but if you idle a lot or use other poor operating practices it will plug up sooner.

yes cat said 3000 hours was the service interval on my 74hp machines. The tech that came out said he see's them go around the 2000 hr mark a lot. They get used for grade work, occasionally loading a truck and demo jobs. I do a lot of smaller jobs and as soon as a job is done, they get loaded up and on to the next one. So i wouldn't say that they set and idle for an excessive amount of time.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Is there a way to clean the dpf and then reset the software yourself?
You know, keep the machine legal?
You’re still having to do the work or removing it, might as well try to do it right

Is there a way to clean the dpf and then reset the software yourself?
You know, keep the machine legal?
You’re still having to do the work or removing it, might as well try to do it right

The thing is, to remove the DPF, the engine has to be pulled. You would think that it could be taken out easier than that but cat wants 20 hrs labor and $4k for the filter job. They said the machine stopped going into regen because it will only cycle so many times before it throws the code for the filter being clogged. If i do the delete, i can cut the old DPF out and won't have to remove the engine. Then straight pipe it. The emulator will tell the ecm that the pressure and temps in the DPF are within range and the alarms will go away. I'm obviously no expert, this is the just of what i have found with my research.. I figured worst case. I'll spend about $7k on cat's ET software and an adaptor for my laptop to cat 9 pin

No there isn’t, unless you have ET. And I think I’m correct in saying it has I be a dealer version of ET as well because that’s the version with all the bells & whistles.

Yes the guy i spoke to locally who does the all out tuning, said that if the alarms won't go away from the emulator creating the proper signals. Then it will need reset with cat ET. And the version you need has to be the CAT software which is very expensive. The plug to connect to the machine and PC is $400 and the software is around $6600.

heymccall

Just my 2cents worth.

Misdiagnosis of the DPF filter being clogged is, unfortunately, common. Most times, its a poor or clogged differential sensor or skewed EGT sensor output.
If it truly is restricted, the source is elsewhere.

As an aside, even with ET, where would you get the authorized pass code for resetting the emissions system?

Can we start at the beginning?

What are the fault codes present?