1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 257B 2 down on power

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by Seanndiane, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Kim Sparling

Kim Sparling Member

Hi Nige.
    That's the plan for now. I drained the tank and replaced the main water separator filter, as well as cleaned the screen in the lift/transfer pump. I also installed a transparent in-line filter on the line from the tank to the transfer/lift pump. I used a small electric fuel pump to prime and bleed the system and to fill the filter(s). I then removed the electric pump and bled the remaining air from the system in a normal fashion. I worked the machine for a few hours. No issues yet and the suction in-line filter still appears to be clean.. I assume the sediment will make its' way to the suction tube eventually and be caught in the in-line filter.
    So far, so good.

2. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Take the filter head apart. Ensure there is no debris in the head inlet, or the top of the filter housing.
    Pinch off your fuel line from tank and unscrew top plastic ring from filter head. Lift off primer. Lift out plastic funnel type insert. Clean out everything.
    If crap is found, use an inline screen between tank and filter (like in the before referenced thread.

Your symptoms indicate a blockage/ restriction in the filter head. Unfortunately, it is very common.

3. Kim Sparling

Kim Sparling Member

Thanks heymccall.. That's good advice. Anything not caught in the left/transfer pump could accumulate in the filter head. I have installed the inline filter in the line from the tank to the lift pump. Initially I was concerned that the lift pump would not have enough suction head to pull through an inline filter, but it seems to be working fine. If it becomes partially plugged I suspect there could be issues with fuel starvation. So far, 4 days of work and no issues.

4. Bryant Loomis

Bryant Loomis New Member

Hello all.

I am having a problem priming my fuel system. I am not getting fuel into the fuel-water separator, therefore I’m not able to prime the fuel rail. Any suggestions?

I have a 2005 257B. SLK00532

5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

6. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

It was built 02/09/04.
    This hand primer is removable from the filter head. 20201224_121348.jpg
    Once removed (by spinning off the plastic collar), you can inspect the diaphragm for distortion.
    Also, it is not uncommon for debris to accumulate and block the inlet to the separator housing. So, when you are inspecting the priming pump, it would be the perfect time to ensure that the inlet isn't plugged from the inlet elbow to the outer passage here.
    20190926_184535.jpg
    The thread listed above by Nige kinda covers it, but I thought I would clarify.

Nige likes this.
  7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Seems like there's been a run of the same issue recently.
    I think this is the 3rd in a week if memory serves.

8. Bryant Loomis

Bryant Loomis New Member

Thank you for the photos and clarification. Hopefully this will get it to prime.

9. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Arrow points to diaphragm that distorts.
    20201224_133109.jpg

And, did this happen after changing the filter?
    It is not uncommon for the O-ring to be omitted or lost when changing the element and reinstalling the water bowl. Arrow points to that here.
    20201224_133813.jpg
    If you lost or forgot that, it will never prime.

512high and Nige like this.
  10. muddog1975

muddog1975 Well-Known Member

If it has a mechanical pump, there is a screen that never gets cleaned inside it. Pump is located on the block and it has a bolt on top. Loosen bolt and remove cap, be careful it has a small o-ring on the inside of the cap on the bolt. Take a pair of needle noise pliers and remove the screen. They are usually stopped up with debris. Good luck.

Attached Files:

Nige likes this.
  11. John-Car257B

John-Car257B New Member

Hi everyone, I have a 2007 cat 257B perk 3024c unit loses power during WOT and moving forward it low rpms and when I let go of joysticks it seems to take 15s and rev’s back up. Also to add it seems fine when I have a full tank. What I’ve done- changed fuel/water separator, changed hoses, and also cleaned screen in manual fuel pump. Seems to be a fuel problem but also had milk in hydraulics so have changed that now as well.SN:SLK03916

12. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    It’s a supply and demand situation..
    So it’s probably a partially clogged filter/screen somewhere..
    When u DEMAND MORE FUEL, it’s not available..
    Reread the past posts and go from there..

13. muddog1975

muddog1975 Well-Known Member

You said it runs good with a full tank.... check you pick up tube or hose in the tank....possible cracked above fuel level when not full.
    Milky hydraulic oil, try to find out where it's getting in at. Long term that not good for the hydraulic system. Hope you get it fixed soon. Good luck