• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 252 Engine advice needed

mikeb4762

Take it easy on a newbie please. I am attempting to change the hydraulic drive coupling and flange on my 252 Skid Loader. A little advice can help me in a big way. I assume the engine needs to be removed to do this. Should the hydraulic lines be disconnected, and the pump and engine removed as one unit; then separated outside of the machine and the parts replaced? Or can the engine be removed with leaving the hydraulic pump in place?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I've never done one myself but looking at the manual it appears as though the way to go is: -

1. Tilt the cab.
2. Drain & remove the hydraulic tank.
3. Remove the implement pump.
4. Remove the hydrostatic pump.

That will get you right into the coupling between the engine and the pump.

mikeb4762

I was hoping to avoid removing all the hydraulic lines, and thought removing the engine was the way to go. Whilst everything is quite accessible, it is somewhat difficult to see how everything is attached. And what would be the easiest method of removal. Time to tilt the cab again and look a little closer at things.

durallymax

On the NH's we would remove the engine, looking at our Cats I think remove the hydros would be easier.

ih100

Remove the cooling group, then drop the small bolts out of the flywheel housing back plates. No need to remove the pump, it's about a three-four hour job. To put it back, put a couple of studs in the flywheel housing to line up he backplate. The manual says drop the pump off the backplate, but that makes replacement hard. You don't need to take the hydraulic tank out.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
When I did ours I unhooked all the lines and pulled the whole thing out in one unit with my service truck and let it hang on the crane while I removed pump and replaced the coupling. Took about 6 hours to fire machine back up.

farmkid16_2002

Occupation
Diesel Tech, Welder Fabricator
How I do it is remove cooler pack, take all bolts out of engine bell housing support hystat pump with strap. Remove engine 2 coolant lines, a coupple of electrical lines, motor mounts. Out in 4hrs. Reinstall use two guide studs to align bell housing, using socket on the front crank pulley turn engine(easier to do with glow plugs removed) to align coupling while slowly pushing engine foreward when they line up reinstall bolts and good to go. Make sure update the flange and coupling newer style with a snap ring inside and LOCKTIGHT the setscrew bolt. Also make sure the ground strap is in good cont and hooked up see this too many times that the are broken or damaged. good luck

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Done several of them, pull the motor replace the POS plastic coupler. 4-5hrs on a light day

Pj