1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 246: Tilt Cylinder Bushings?

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by 01Time, May 6, 2022.

1. 01Time

01Time Well-Known Member

There is some play with some occasional 'creak' and 'pop' where the tilt cylinders connect to the bucket. Are there bushings there that I could replace to address that issue?
    5SZ07867

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    No bushes listed in the rod end of the tilt cylinders.

01Time likes this.
  3. ahart

ahart Senior Member

Recently did one of these, I put new pins/bushings in the lift arms, new pins in the tilt cylinders, and had the coupler plate holes repaired and it took most all of the play out of it. I’m sure if the rod eyes were egg shaped a machine shop could properly fit them with bushings. Most of my wear was in the pins/coupler plate.

01Time likes this.
  4. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

There's a letter with part numbers to machine out the ends of the rods to except bushes

01Time likes this.
  5. ahart

ahart Senior Member

here is info on machining and installing bushings in rod ends of both tilt and lift cylinders if needed.

The sleeve bearings should be installed in the cylinder bore by using a press fit. The bearings should be flush with the outside surfaces for two bearing installations. For single bearings with a grease groove, the bearings should be centered in the bore. The Offset that is provided is a reference dimension for positioning the bearings within the bore. The Offset is the distance from the outer surface of the bore to the outer surface of the bearing.
    [​IMG]
    Illustration 1 g00813646

Tilt Cylinder

(C) Rod Eye

(G) Head

[​IMG]
    Illustration 2 g00813645
    Lift Cylinder

(K) Rod End

(Y) Head End
    59018226-940C-498B-BD1D-F0C77A03ACA8.png

01Time likes this.
  6. 01Time

01Time Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info...glad to see there's a solution.

7. Desertwheeler

Desertwheeler Senior Member

Miner
    I have 226b2 and the hydraulic shop bored out the hole and installed bushings. Otherwise they were going to have to cut them off and install new ones.

8. 01Time

01Time Well-Known Member

Is this something a 2" annular cutter on a magnetic drill could accomplish or does it need a true line boring machine to do?

9. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    You talking about boring out the tilt cylinder rod eye to accept the bushes.? That doesn't need a boring bar IMO, any competent machine shop could do it but they would probably ask for the cylinder to be disassembled first.

10. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

An annular cutter in not quite the answer we will probably end up with a loose fitting bushing also they are hardened and would take a carbide to cut I did mine with a boring bar on my mag drill after going though the annular cutter idea I also set them up with seals so they have a chance of lasting

Seems like Cat was doing them for around $175 each there was another thread somewhere about those other wise any decent machine shop can set them up on a mill

Attached Files: