• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 246: Repairing A Quick Attach Coupler

01Time

S/N 5SZ0XXXX

The LH coupler will not fully disengage without a decent amount of applied impact shock (mini-sledge hammer). It's been this way since I bought the machine, but it hadn't been much of an issue since I rarely changed attachments. But nowadays I do change out attachments more often and I know this method has an expiration period. I do grease the pins regularly, so I don't anticipate additional issues with them, but I do want to fix the one that's giving me problems.

The pin appears to be straight (as far as I can tell), so I'm assuming something else is bent/broken. Or could this just be a matter of an adjustment in the mechanism? I could only find instructions on removing/installing the entire coupler assembly - is there a method to disassembly or further troubleshooting?

heymccall

Usually the lock pin bore is fouled with packed dust/ dirt (in blue).
Sometimes the pivot seizes from corrosion (in red).
Disassembly and inspection are the only way to diagnose. Heck, the latch pin may even be bent.

Only you can see the binding.

Screenshot_20220819-170240_Chrome.jpg

01Time

Usually the lock pin bore is fouled with packed dust/ dirt (in blue).
Sometimes the pivot seizes from corrosion (in red).
Disassembly and inspection are the only way to diagnose. Heck, the latch pin may even be bent.

Only you can see the binding.

View attachment 266350
To disassemble, is it just a matter of loosening and removing the nut (#13, I believe) and it will all (theoretically) come free?