• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 239D creep mode not working

masber2000

Hello-

Just purchased a used CAT 239D and am in the process of checking/inspecting all functions. I can't seem to get into creep mode after pressing the bottom left button on the LH joystick. Are there any inspection points on the machine that I should know about in order to diagnose the issue and resolve?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I sent you the electrical schematic by PM.
The bad news is that if you find that the switch on the LH joystick is defective it's not listed as a spare part. The complete handle has to be replaced according to the manufacturer.
Might be a stupid question but is the rocker switch (#3 in the illustration below) in the upper LH panel in the correct position to energize the trigger on the LH joystick.?
upload_2021-9-27_10-23-44.png

On a different note, do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it.?

masber2000

Thank you! I'll review and start testing. I actually purchased a copy of the O&M manual but it's so unwieldy, it'll take me a bit of time to go through it. I don't think I have rocker switch #3 on my unit, I only have the float switch:
PXL_20210928_165010836.jpg

I assume that I don't have this function on my unit. This creates another concern - Do I have the joystick functionality to use my broom/auger/dozer attachments? I do have the aux buttons on my LH joystick.

Nige

Does the creep mode need to have 2-speed? I don't think I have that.
You don't have 2-speed (at least not when the machine was built) but having looked a bit deeper it makes no difference.

The text below explains how the creep speed control works. Is the "creep speed controller" light (1) coming on when you push the button.?
upload_2021-9-30_11-45-20.png

The creep control feature is used to adjust the speed of the machine when using different work tools while performing specific operations. The creep allows for precise slow speed travel at high engine speed to maintain full auxiliary flow to the work tool. The creep control switch is a momentary pushbutton switch. Pressing the button will cycle the creep control on or off. When the creep control is on, the creep control alert indicator will be on, and the creep speed controller will illuminate on the Advanced Display. The machine must be in NEUTRAL to change from non-creep mode to creep mode and vice versa. When a diagnostic is present on the switch, the current creep control state (ON or OFF) will be held by the ECM.

masber2000

It says "The machine must be in NEUTRAL to change from non-creep mode to creep mode and vice versa.". How do I put the machine in neutral?

Nige

No it's not. Do I have to have an implement attached (I don't think I do)?
Neither do I but I've never operated one of these machines so I can't say for certain one way or the other.
It says "The machine must be in NEUTRAL to change from non-creep mode to creep mode and vice versa.". How do I put the machine in neutral?
I take that to mean the machine must be stopped with no input signals from the forward/reverse control on the joystick. That to me is "neutral". I hope someone else can confirm that.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
I'm going to replace all of the fuses in the fuse block to see if that helps.
According to the schematic, it's not fused.
Nige has got it spot on.

You also mentioned the creep light doesn't light up. Using the schematic Nige sent you, disconnect the 12 pin plug on the LHS handle. Start machine, release park brake, carefully bridge #11 F763 (white) and #12 A285 (black)... which effectively bypasses the creep switch on the joystick. If you see the creep light illuminate on the screen, you have a bad switch, replace the joystick handle.

Edit: I say carefully because you're playing with the unfused signal back to the ECM. Use the proper deutsch pins or sockets on the jumper wire if you can. It's also a good idea to run an inline fuse (say 10amp) in that jumper wire also.