1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 236d engine problems

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by paxfam1, Aug 5, 2022.

1. paxfam1

paxfam1 Member

Engine ran away, and I need to get it off site. How do I get the wheels to roll? It's cat 236d

2. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Post your machine serial number. I don't know if those are equipped with tow valves or not.

paxfam1 and mg2361 like this.
  3. paxfam1

paxfam1 Member

Serial number BGZ01035

4. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

No official documented way. Pick it up or drag it.

5. paxfam1

paxfam1 Member

I was afraid of that answer.

6. paxfam1

paxfam1 Member

Anyone have any idea how much pressure is needed to release the parking brake? Could I use air pressure, or could I plumb auxiliary remotes from another machine? Just weighing out my options. This is not going to be an easy recovery if I have to drag it out.

7. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

You need about 400psi to release the brakes. Not only that, you would need to open the hydraulic drive loops.

paxfam1 likes this.
  8. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

You could always cut the chains.
    But, then it can roll away.
    Screenshot_20220806-001154_Chrome.jpg

paxfam1 likes this.
  9. ThreeCW

ThreeCW Well-Known Member

Here is a search of the word "towing" in the titles. Not many solutions in this search, but it certainly highlights what damage you can cause when towing a skid steer.
    https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/search/152383364/?q=towing&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=63

Brainstorming a bit here ... as heymccall points out, removing the drive chains should allow you to roll the machine. As per the diagram above, by loosening the nuts (#5), does that not allow you to slide the axle assembly (#6), to create enough slack in the drive chains to slip the chains off of the drive motor sprockets? Or is there a connector link in the chains ... which may or may not be accessible?? Hence, if not accessible, you would have to cut the chains ??

Perhaps a call to your local CAT service department is in order for advice on towing?

10. paxfam1

paxfam1 Member

I was able to get it moved into my shop, I now need to do some testing. Can some one please post what adapter is needed for commpression testing via glow plug hole?

11. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    Check the thread pitch of your glow plug..
    Harbor Freight sells a glow plug compression kit.. I think they list the thread pitch on their web site.

12. paxfam1

paxfam1 Member

So I got the machine moved, I removed Charge pipes and exhaust. Suspect turbo failure due to the excessive turbine play. Decent amount of oil in the charge pipe. However it still won't start. It fires but it feels like it's got a dead cylinder and stalls out after the key is released. Preformed commpression test and I have good compression on all four cylinders. It will start and run on starting fluid. So it looks like I have a fuel delivery issue. The low side pump runs and you can see fuel circulation in the filter. Any advice on how to isolate components on the high pressure side?

13. thepumpguysc

Gotta know what fuel system u got.
    (Pump type)

paxfam1 likes this.
  14. paxfam1

paxfam1 Member

It has a denso fuel system

15. thepumpguysc

They make 4 different types of fuel systems..
    Get a pic.

paxfam1 likes this.
  16. ahart

ahart Well-Known Member

From the parts book. E3D8DCB4-9A2A-4554-AEA8-E8A31EE21BC7.png

17. paxfam1

paxfam1 Member

Not sure what part of it you need to see?

Attached Files:

18. thepumpguysc

I’ve never worked on a Denso hi pressure common rail pump, sorry.

19. thepumpguysc

U could check for fuel going into the pump..?? Don’t know which line to check tho..

20. paxfam1

paxfam1 Member

So the engine ran for about 1 minute after the key was shut off, is there any way the injectors could continue to fire? Or am I dealing with a failed turbo and a fuel supply issue? Seems unlikely to have two issues at the same time?