• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 236 or Case 1845c

JGibson

Hi guys. Im looking at buying a skid steer for my plowing work, and landscaping. Im looking at either a Cat 236 or a Case 1845c. I have more experience with the Cats, but a friend of mine has a case which I have a little experience with. The 236 is $14,000, and the Case is $10,000. Do you guys have any bad/good experiences with either. I'm leaning towards the cat, but the price is fair for the machine, but would be a bit of a hit. Thanks, John Gibson

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Can't comment on the Cat never had to deal with one, yet.

As for the Case 1845C we have a 1989 vintage one that the company bought new.

I won't try to say we have never had a problem with it but 99.9% of the problems I have had to correct were from poor maintenance and outright abusive operation. This machine is used for clean up in a stone quarry. Due to operators who can destroy tires and rims in a few days we ran AirBoss tires on it for years. These are solid rubber tires whith bolt on segments. Even those needed to be beat back round a couple times a year. Problem is these tire/rims have almost no flex and were rough riding and rough on drive chains. Not to mention expensive to replace segments when worn out.

So if I have been able to keep what is now a 25 year old 1845C in usable condition in what I feel is about the worst application my personal vote would be for a good used 1845C.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
The joystick controls in the cat are easier to operate . Otherwise not much advantage on the cat.

frogfarmer

Im not sure the two machines should be compared but for me it would be a no brainer the 1845C. They are ultra reliable although crude by todays standards and almost no electronics a big plus for us owners not just users. If I were just an operator I would want the most advanced slickest machine on the market but when it breaks it wouldn't be my baby.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Im not sure the two machines should be compared but for me it would be a no brainer the 1845C. They are ultra reliable although crude by todays standards and almost no electronics a big plus for us owners not just users. If I were just an operator I would want the most advanced slickest machine on the market but when it breaks it wouldn't be my baby.

Back in 2002 we got a slightly used JCB, not one of those in the question I know but, had a little over 250 hours on it. This was to replace the tired old 1989 1845C Case. I would not be surprise if the JCB is traded off soon but the 1845C is still able to out work the 10 year newer JCB and spends much less time in the shop.

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Hey there, well heres my opinion,,, ive worked at cat for few yrs an ive seen the good the bad an the ugggglyyy, I guess the best thing to say bout the cat is that it looks good,,,, but the kicker is they have been known for there motor issues here an there,, really no matter what the make of the cat skid steer, there all power by the caterpirkins,, witch basicly is a small perkins motor with a cat logo on it,,, but there known to be expensive when dealing with motor repairs, plus hard to find used replacement motors laying around, but it is possible to fix tho,, but with the case 1845 s them thing are built like tanks,,, hyds an motors can take a heck of a beating,, the motors are 4bt Cummings an are actually lil bigger hp wise over the lil 236 fella, no to mention ya can find the 4bt cummins parts any an everywere, an they are easily found any an everywere, ya just don't wanta runnem hot too many times due to theres no liners in the block , but theres room for boreing the block tho, but over all the 1845 is a pretty tuff machine weather its 10 or 20 yrs old,,,they hold there reliability.

JGibson

Thanks Guys for all of the responses. They are greatly appreciated. The case sounds like a great machine. My only thing is, I'm used to the cat iso joystick controls along with the dealership is closer to me than the Case. But I really am torn lol. Here are pictures of both machines. It would be running an 8ft box plow, gp bucket, pallet forks and possibly a sweeper.
d4a566763ddb33637a8cf635034fb00b_zpsaca789e9.jpg1ca841ab82505cd9896fd55a2ed9f295_zps51f7ab0b.jpg

fsmech

Occupation
field service mechanic
Both machines look in good condition, with descent tread on the tyres, one thing with the cat, though it's hard to tell but it looks like the cutting edge is worn away and it has started wearing through to the bucket itself. Does the cat have aircon? I like how Chris called it a caterpirkins, we call them perkypillers!!

JGibson

I agree, and that would be something i would look into replacing. What is aircon? Thanks, John

fsmech

Occupation
field service mechanic
Air-conditioning? Not just a blower fan, but system with conpressor, evaporator and condenser. Should be a switch with a snowflake on it on the left hand console arm rest.

JGibson

Oh haha, I believe it does, my hoe has one. I know it has a heater which is more important around here lol!