• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 235C Identification Questions.

Cub

Occupation
Farm Manager
Gentlemen, Maybe the dumbest thing I have ever done, but I just bought a 1983 Cat 235C Excavator.
This machine was made in Belgium. So, I assume this is what is referred to as a "Gray Market" machine?
Serial # 64R01592.
I'm looking for a Parts and hopefully a Service Manual for this thing and all I have been able to come up with so far are manuals for machines with way different serial numbers. I found a couple with the 64R part, but nothing with the 0 following. Any ideas on where I can find these manuals or would other 64 series manuals be close?

I went and looked at this machine, tried it out and it runs, decent. Pretty tight and dry. Undercarriage is Real Good as far as Chains, Idlers, Sprockets, and Pads. Needs Bottom Rolls.

In transit, somehow the Muffler got torn off and Broke the cast piece coming off the Turbo. WTF. Driver said he got hung up on a low hanging wire. I got to get into that more to see if I can repair it or find another one.

Sitting in the seat, Gauges to your lower Right on the panel, I have a Flashing Red Light about the size of a Ping Pong Ball at the Top of the Panel. I don't remember this Flashing the day I tried this rig out. As it is Not Marked, What is this Indicator For?

I hate looking like a Rookie Dumbbell asking stupid questions. I have an Old D6C, MDT 7500 Kabota Tractor, a 5 Ton Army Dump Truck, and a Timberjack Skidder I've done quite a bit of work to and didn't know much about those either. I've run equipment for years, just never worked on it much more than Operator Maintenance.
The 235C is sitting at the bottom of my driveway and I want to walk it up to my shop and start going through Filters and Fluids. Just don't want to do any damage with that Red Light Flashing seeing I don't even know what it is.
Some of you Old Excavator Guys are sitting back chuckling now. "Ah, Another Newbie. Kid you don't what you got yourself into".
Any input will be Greatly Appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Maybe the dumbest thing I have ever done, but I just bought a 1983 Cat 235C Excavator.
This machine was made in Belgium. So, I assume this is what is referred to as a "Gray Market" machine?
Serial # 64R01592.
First up you didn't buy a 235C. You bought an early model 235, an "A" model if you will, despite whatever decals it might be wearing right now. It might be a 1983 but I'll have to check. I think it might be older..........

All 235 (A, B, & C) models were built in both Belgium and the US and were intended to be shipped all over the World. It's not classed as "grey market".

I'm looking for a Parts and hopefully a Service Manual for this thing........ I found a couple with the 64R part, but nothing with the 0 following.
Forget the "0". Cat manuals will often say (in your case) "64R1-Up" which means from the first 64R machine ever built onwards. You have to be careful though, because some documentation is Serial Number-specific

For a Parts Manual you need Cat Publication SEBP1321 for 64R machines with S/N above 1258, which includes yours. If you can't find a used copy SEBP1321 is still available for download from the Cat Publications website.

1715698452763.png

For a Service Manual you need REG01388. Here are links to one on Amazon and another on eBay. The Amazon one looks in far better condition. For a paper manual such as these the important quesioin to ask the seller - "Is it complete.?" because if it is it will also contain the Operation & Mainteance Manual so you won't have to buy it separately. Often the O&M disappears from the binder.

pumkinhead

the flashing light is a warning light and will flash until it "sees" engine oil pressure. there should also be 3 other lights at the bottom of the panel that indicate hyd restriction, air restriction and hyd level. the red warning light will come on if coolant temperature is high, engine oil pressure is low or if the hydraulic oil level is low.

Cub

Occupation
Farm Manager
First up you didn't buy a 235C. You bought an early model 235, an "A" model if you will, despite whatever decals it might be wearing right now. It might be a 1983 but I'll have to check. I think it might be older..........

All 235 (A, B, & C) models were built in both Belgium and the US and were intended to be shipped all over the World. It's not classed as "grey market".

Forget the "0". Cat manuals will often say (in your case) "64R1-Up" which means from the first 64R machine ever built onwards. You have to be careful though, because some documentation is Serial Number-specific

For a Parts Manual you need Cat Publication SEBP1321 for 64R machines with S/N above 1258, which includes yours. If you can't find a used copy SEBP1321 is still available for download from the Cat Publications website.

View attachment 312231

For a Service Manual you need REG01388. Here are links to one on Amazon and another on eBay. The Amazon one looks in far better condition. For a paper manual such as these the important quesioin to ask the seller - "Is it complete.?" because if it is it will also contain the Operation & Mainteance Manual so you won't have to buy it separately. Often the O&M disappears from the binder.
Nige. Once again you pointed me in the right direction. Thanks a Bunch.
How do you know so much about Equipment? It boggles my mind. Every time I start stabbin in the dark you turn on the light.

You helped me out big time with my D6.
Thanks Again.

Cub

Occupation
Farm Manager
the flashing light is a warning light and will flash until it "sees" engine oil pressure. there should also be 3 other lights at the bottom of the panel that indicate hyd restriction, air restriction and hyd level. the red warning light will come on if coolant temperature is high, engine oil pressure is low or if the hydraulic oil level is low.
Thank You. I ran the machine about 1/2 hour this afternoon. Within a minute the light stopped flashing. Checked oil, coolant etc. before firing it up. Figured it was good to go. Looked down and the light was gone.
Everything was fine till I blew a Hose on the Right Boom Cylinder. This machine sat for a good while and no doubt I'll end up replacing many of them.
Thanks for the knowledge.