1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 235B 1986

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by WildBill99, Nov 21, 2018.

1. WildBill99

WildBill99 Member

Thanks again to Nige for getting me set up on the right page.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any hints on important winterizing do's and don'ts. This is my first year with my big yellow kitty cat. I just use it at my farm and this winter will just be using it as a means to clear my driveway if the snow gets really bad (which it probably will). Being an older machine I don't want to beat it up doing any winter digging. Any suggestions or tips to keep my Cat happy will be greatly appreciated.

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

From your location the first thing I would be asking is the condition of the coolant. If you have any doubt about it I would personally flush it out and replace it with some latest generation 50/50 ELC premix. IIRC that blend is good for temperatures down to minus 30C. A 66/33 premix would be good for minus 50C.
    Is it going to sit parked outside or do you have a barn big enough to get it inside..?
    Are you contemplating any sort of block heater for the engine and or hydraulic system..?

Others who have much more experience in climates like yours will hopefully chime in. My preference to see snow is on Christmas cards and that's about it. Personally I will be somewhere with temperatures from mid-20s to mid-30s (Celsius) for most of the winter.

3. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

May I ask what kind of driveway you have that you may use a 30 ton excavator to move the snow?? o_O

4. WildBill99

WildBill99 Member

Long. Two passes up and down the driveway...done

5. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

????

6. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Cat_235B.jpg
    Agree, Shimmy1, hard to picture using an excavator to push snow!