• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 226b thumb wheel switch replacement

Goncolgo

I am in the process of fixing my thumbwheel switch on my 226b. i found the switch and ordered it, will be arriving in a couple days. as soon as i get it installed ill let everyone know the results. in the mean time check out the attached file hope this helps someone. the mfg of the switch is otto
How did that thumb wheel switc you ordered work out? Was it a plug and play or were their complications? I’ve got a 257B2 and its thumb wheel switch is becoming hard to rotate and sticks.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
How did that thumb wheel switc you ordered work out? Was it a plug and play or were their complications? I’ve got a 257B2 and its thumb wheel switch is becoming hard to rotate and sticks.
It wouldn’t work. It’s somewhere in the thread. Start from Post #23 on Page 2.

The Cat switch requires an 8v supply and unfortunately the only switches on the open market all specify a 5v supply. Supplied with 5v they work great, supplied with 8v they don't.

Last edited:

jbarry

Hi, The right joystick thumb switch died on our 2007 257B2 this past month. I use a grapple attachment a lot. I had CAT mobile service in today for a look. For what it might be worth, his determination is that the ECM (part # 2160658) under the floor board is not working correctly. He said, "There is no output from pin 40 and pin 42 which is for A1 solenoid and no ouput for pin 58 and pin 42 which is A2 solenoid. This is directly from the ECM. The inputs are working as they can read using the laptop but nothing comes out of the ECM as 12 volts on pin 1 and 3."
So now I'm looking at whether or not to get a reman ECM or sell the machine as is.

LeviG

after having fixed a few of these for people, im beginning to notice that on some of the thumbwheel switches, when the magnet goes bad, its not too long after, that the sensor inside the switch ends up going bad. and thats the point of no return for the switch.
I have the same issue with my switch 259b3 cat. I am wondering about contacting the manufacture you bought your switch from and having 100ish of them made with the right 8v and then perhaps selling them on an eBay store. ‍♂️ You guys are much more knowledgeable than me. Great feed. Thanks to all for the knowledge. Glad there are still guys out there fixing there equipment like me.

LeviG

The Cat thumbwheel switch requires a dedicated 8v DC supply. Otto do not sell a switch of the specification, at least not commercially, although I have long suspected that they manufacture the switches for Cat.
I wonder if they would sell 100 of them if i didn’t mention caterpillar. It would be worth reselling them on eBay to help you guys out. I need one.

pbd05

With the right item description, I think you'd have an easy time selling them. Hopefully the manufacturer will play ball.

LeviG

You’re probably right and seem very knowledgeable. I have a cat 259b 2012 and need to install a 14 pin wiring harness on the machine I believe it was taken off previously. I can not find any information or videos of guys installing them. What’s the best place to get a wiring diagram? I ordered the conversion from skid steer genius to go to 8 pin but need to solve this issue first. New member so not sure if i should create a thread about this? Thanks.

LeviG

Yyz03941 2012 cat. I entered my serial number on cats website, and they provided minimal information. I will keep looking online today with my specific serial number. Thank you.