• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 226

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
the gasket may even have a bit blown out so its easy to see .Pushrod hole maybe filled with carbon and stuck to push rod.be sure to cut the oil filer to check for bearing damage

vgilbertson

if its a 3024 engine head gasket blows between 1-2 cylinder head gaskets were common failure at one point. They generally keep running.......but will fill the engine with carbon eventually causing bearing failure. if the problem is not addressed. will start hard have more smoke less power and often runs on 3cyl. a new updated gasket is now available. If you open the rear door and view the engine on the LH side at the rear of the corner of the cylinder head. if you see a eyelet with a brass inset you have the updated gasket............not that it cant blow...but its a much more reliable part.
I did not see an eyelet in the gasket

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
now do your compression test. if you sacrifice a glow plug you can modify it to hook to a gauge 0-500 or a 0-400psi would likely suffice. if you have a test light hook the ground to positive + now with the bridge bar between the glow plugs removed, touch the tester tip onto the threaded portion of the glow plug......if it lights the glow plug is good proceed for other 3 plugs if one don't light its bad use this one for the tester you will be destroying the glow plug basically to adapt to the threaded portion to attach your gauge might have to do a bit of bronzing or mig welding to accomplish this. if one is bad you are better off on reassembly to replace them all if funds allow. a difference of no more than 10% between cylinders is what you want. post your numbers. I don't have the spec and not going to tell you what I think it is ,plenty of people on here with SIS at there finger tips.my answers are all from doing!

vgilbertson

Good morning, first glow plug removed, rear of the engine, spun and could not get not loose. the other 3 can loose with no issues. Would anyone know what thread the glow plug has?

Attachments

• glow plug.jpg
    glow plug.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 8

vgilbertson

Little info, the skid steer is 40 miles away from my home, I have a Harbor Freight compression tester that I have had for a while, for some reason the 10mm X 1.25 glow plug tester would not thread into the head. Had to drive back to the house and chase the threads, will go back out in the morning and give it another go.

vgilbertson

Good morning,
Compression test starting from the rear of the machine.
510 psi

The front glow plug was wet when removed.

vgilbertson

couple pictures

Attachments

• Cat front cylinder.JPG
    Cat front cylinder.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • Cat head front cyclinder.jpg
    Cat head front cyclinder.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 10
  • Cat head gasket 1.jpg
    Cat head gasket 1.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 10

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
Head is off, front piston is not coming to the top of the block, stops about 3/16" from the top. Bent rod?
did the engine knock? think your going to be pulling that engine. typically a bent rod will not reach TDC and will cause a misfire. there are some pretty good aftermarket complete rebuild kits out there. with every thing you need you wont get a connecting rod though.I used one of these kits several years ago and was pretty impressed. everything down to o rings gaskets seals etc etc

vgilbertson

There was no loud knock, this is my first skid steer so.. I lifted the cab, will I need to pull the hydraulics or will the engine separate?

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
there's no easy way I've tried them all .its just plain ugly! From a time perspective this may suit you...its faster. first remove the cooler/rad assembly This will give you way more room air cleaner housing has to come off .remove various wires etc inc the battery. remove exhaust and flex pipe as a unit .slide in a cherry picker there are 2 lift lugs on top of the engine use them. put 2 small d shackles on the lugs if you don't when making the lift the lugs will bend inwards and damage the valve cover. with the engine SUPPORTED remove the rear bumper the rear motor mount goes through it. loosen the 4 bolts on the rear LH And RH motor mounts .don't forget the braided ground strap fixed from engine block to frame. now lift the cab. find a heavy piece piece of flat bar or rebar and slide it through the bottom cut outs on the lifted cab, hook a 1/4 ton chain fall here wrap a short lift strap around the pumps keeping it close to the engine side rear of pump .lay on a creeper and remove the 2 hydrostat pump bolts they are 18mm there is a Cat tool for this that will make your job easier. or make something .take a little weight on the chain fall. now pull on the end of the hyd pump if its stubborn use a blue bar and pry up on it then bare down it will separate leave it hanging. remove the 8 bolts on the LH and RH engine mounts pull engine out. This way you are not all crunched up under the cab fighting with hoses remembering where they go and having to drain the hydraulic tank.be sure when its out to take a good look at the nylon coupler and replace it if needed......unless you really enjoyed the engine removal process and want to do it again!!! now is a good time to do it! also be sure the steel coupler on the hydro stat is tight and has not moved there is a measurement spec for this you will need. Loctite the screws (2) that hold it if you take it off. now the coupler was updated and if you may find you need to replace them both as the new style nylon disc wont fit the old steel drive hub! check it fits before engine install or you will never mate the engine to the hydrostat! on install . find a willing participant to roll the engine using a 1-7/16 socket on the crank pulley, while you align the hydrostat and slide it together DONT pull it in with the bolts!!

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
may not be the sis way but believe me I have yanked out my share of Cat and other skid steer engines!