• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 226 Chattering/ No lift power

Highridge

Hi Folks

I have early 2000s Cat 226. Recently had the floor plate out to check the ECM for another issue(fun). The other day went to use the machine and it wont lift any more weight than the bucket itself and the hydraulics are chattering for every function other than the wheels. Moves forward/ reverse just fine. I'm thinking maybe a check valve or relief valve but not sure what valve is what under the cab. Any thoughts?

Highridge

It was slightly below the sight glass so I don’t think it was that. Also changed the hydraulic filter for good measure.

heymccall

Anytime I've encountered chattering hydraulics (3 times in 28 years), it has always been bad barrels in the variable displacement pump. And the bad barrels always lost their brass slipper shoes. Cut open the hydraulic filter and you'll, most likely, find brass.

Highridge

Thanks for the advice. I’ll cut the old filter open tomorrow and check it out. Also going to check the relief valves. Does anyone know what one is the main valve it looks there are 3 or 4.