• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 225...switcing from Cat to Deere controls?

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Or... is that handle with the round knob, on the seat pedestal, a pattern changer??? :confused:

OCR

The handle with the big knob on the seat pedestal OCR is an adjuster for the seat. They didn't have all the creature comforts we have nowadays in those 200 series unfortunately. It was back & forth, a little backrest tilt, and a little tension adjustment for weight, that's about it.

Now you get in them and the last dude has it reclined back to the window like he just finished watching My Big Redneck Wedding on his DVD player.

What's laying by the seat. Under the hour meter, a grease gun.
To the left of the gun, that little round knob pertruding up from the floorboard, I'm drawing a blank on. I want to say it's the master switch, but I can't recall. Been a couple years since I've sat in a 225/235.

Last edited:

special tool

Hello, special tool.

I know I'm looking right at it, but it's just not sinking in... :eek:
Give me a little help on...

It can't be the the hour meter or the grab handle... and I can't tell what's laying by the seat... :beatsme

Sorry for the bother...

Regards,

OCR

I was responding to redlaker1's quote.

The picture is just to show the line group behind the seat.
The thing by the seat is a grease gun.:drinkup

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
The handle with the big knob on the seat pedestal OCR is an adjuster for the seat.

Copy that, LowBoy.

Thanks, rather obvious now... duh... :eek:

OCR

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
I was responding to redlaker1's quote.

The picture is just to show the line group behind the seat.
The thing by the seat is a grease gun.:drinkup

And, thank you special tool.

OCR

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Copy that, LowBoy.

Thanks, rather obvious now... duh... :eek:

OCR

That's an easy one to miss, buddy. Say, are you near Great Falls? I've got a cousin in Great Falls, Mt. that I keep threatening to go out and visit one day that I only met as toddlers in the 60's. We got introduced again by our uncle and now we constantly email and call each other occasionally. It'd be a trip like on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for us I'm sure.

I was in Denver last January after delivering an oversized crusher plant, and was within a 1/4 inch of renting a car to make the drive from Denver to Great Falls, but the passes were closed due to the white stuff and I aborted the mission.:drinkup

bill

Okee Dokee. This is the greenhorns 3rd reply. Does anyone know if a hitachi 270 excavator has a diverter or will I have to suck it up and re-learn the cat controls?
About 10 years ago I borrowed a friends Link Belt for a couple of months and was able to reorganize my brain, however that was a l-o--n--g time ago.

Dominion 410

225 cab

The button that looks like a dimmer switch is the horn.Master switch is located on the guage console on the lower right side(at least it was on the 235 I operated).

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Deere in an excavator for me is a scary thought. I can only run cat in an excavator but I run Deere only in a Backhoe. If I tried to switch the 2 Id be screwed.

Even more strange, I can hop in a 690B Deere and run it fine because the controls are in front of me like the backhoe. And with a backhoe with pilot controls I can only run Cat pattern.

Ive worked places 2 were me and the foreman would go back and fourth all day with pattern valves, he hop in for 5 mins switch to Deere, Id get back in and have to switch back cat. It was annoying but gave me an excuse to not have to run the 307 that was beat to hell.:)

biggixxerjim

Us old dogs can't change control patterns after 30 years, it's an easy change out at the valve bank like lowboy says.
For my 2 cents worth, boom and swing on the left and bucket and stick on the right makes sense although the kids will argue with you on that. It's nice to see the new stuff with the pattern changers so you can have it your way.

Well, I believe that the Cat controls make more sense because the entire right stick has the same functions as a control would for a backhoe loader or track loader. Back raises the bucket, forward lowers it, left curls in, and right curls out. Now just add the other functions that are picked up by going to an excavator on the left stick (this really becomes sensible when left swings left, right swings right, forward is stick out and back is stick in.)

Just think of the right stick on a Cat machine to be the same as a joystick in a backhoe.

special tool

Well, I believe that the Cat controls make more sense because the entire right stick has the same functions as a control would for a backhoe loader or track loader. Back raises the bucket, forward lowers it, left curls in, and right curls out. Now just add the other functions that are picked up by going to an excavator on the left stick (this really becomes sensible when left swings left, right swings right, forward is stick out and back is stick in.)

Just think of the right stick on a Cat machine to be the same as a joystick in a backhoe.

Well, I see your point.
But consider that the Deere controls place both minor (finesse) controls in right and and both major controls in left.
The Cat controls seem to "skip" the stick (because they do) on your right hand.....the stick control is "skipped" over as your right hand control goes from bucket to boom.
But this is moot, I am going to practice with those backwards-a$$ Cat controls and see if I can do it - like I should anyway.:drinkup.
Kind of sacrilige to have a Cat on Deere controls, my old man will just have to stay on the other stuff.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Didnt john deere produce the first 2 stick control pattern and have a patten on it, that being why Cat swithed only 2 functions so they could use joystick controls in their equipment?

biggixxerjim

Didnt john deere produce the first 2 stick control pattern and have a patten on it, that being why Cat swithed only 2 functions so they could use joystick controls in their equipment?

I never heard of this, but it does make sense.

When I first started operating, I learned on a JD pattern. I too thought it was the mosst sensible, as all the major functions are on the left. But once I learned the Cat system and became proficient with it, it really is a better pattern. WHen pulling the crowd in with the bucket in the ground doing digging, at the end of the stroke your right hand must do a "half circle" with the contol to get the bucket rolled in and throw the dipper back out away from the machine. On the cat controls that large movement with one hand is spread across both controls

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Learning the Controls

I've always heard that if you would change patterns about an hour before quitting time, run about an hour and go home, that you could run it the next morning. I don't know, I run John Deere controls. :notworthy My part time guy is a cat man and he won't change for nothing. It grips my butt when we have a backhoe job. :Banghead

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
leave them the way they are. It isn't that hard to jump back and forth.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
only if ya wanna make it be.

special tool

Well, I decided I am going to switch it.
For the sake of the archives of this site, I will illustrate with pictures how to switch the pilot controls on a 200 series Cat.

There IS a very convenient junction block behind the cab.
Below the cab it is steel tube, but these go to the first beam which has all rubber lines on the other side.(first pic).
Was getting dark, so these pics are not so great, but I will post better later along with the 4 correctly identified hoses (the hard part) for switching.

By the way,this is a 51U in very near perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition.:D:drinkup

Attachments

• Picture 056.jpg
    Picture 056.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 672
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 682

bluntman410g

Occupation
OPERATOR
jd controls suck, why does jd think they are so cool they can have their on controls? i hate when people whine that they cant operate normal "cat" style controls like 99% of the rest of the world. i think your only option is to study the hose pattern and start switching hoses around
:Banghead:Banghead

special tool

Well, the dasdardly deed is done.
For some reason, high side plunger left has to go to LOW side plunger right, and visa-versa....just to confound me, I believe.:Banghead:p

And I know some of you guys will think about that....but both stick back are piston EXTENSION....go figure.

I'll a have diagram this weekend, for whom it might concern.

Last edited: