• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 225 sprocket rebuilding

Welder Dave

If you're looking at building up the sprocket with weld, it's easier to just replace the sprocket or see if a weld on sprocket rim is available. I found below in an older thread from Bob/Ont who is dearly missed on here.

"If all else fails and you only need it moved the final drive pinion can be disengaged and machine towed CAREFULY. In that condition it rolls freely and you have no control over that."

Later Bob

Cat 225 won't budge. | Heavy Equipment Forums

DSC55

It’s an on the farm hoe that the sprocket was not too bad, just wanted to build it back up to specs before I put the new chain on. Thanks for the reply

Welder Dave

Sprockets are generally one of the lower cost items when doing the undercarriage. Doesn't seem worth the time or trouble to try and build up sprocket teeth, especially on the machine. You'd need to use special build up rods so they wouldn't mushroom and then you'd have to grind all the pockets the same to match the rails. Not sure which model of 225 you have but found a weld on sprocket rim in a quick search. You could check with your chain supplier or other undercarriage shops as well.

3T9153, OK483 Caterpillar 225 Sprocket Rim - AMT Equipment Parts - Equipment Replacement Parts

DSC55

It’s a 235, I looked at weld on and because of the amount of tooth left- 1/3- thought I could just do some buildup. Now That I’m almost done I’m wishing I had gone with the 300$ weld on.

DSC55

My first trackhoe, and won’t ever leave my 500acre farm so a lot of traveling isn’t a concern.

Bluox

Is there a way to roll the sprocket without having to start up the motor.
Look on top of the final case toward the front side of the sprocket , there will be a oblong plate with a hex drive on it and 2 bolts holding it down.
Take the 2 bolts out and turn the plate 180 degrees and put the bolts back in ,this takes the gear train out of gear and the brake won't work.
Make sure you turn this plate back before you run machine.
Good Luck
Bob

lantraxco

Look on top of the final case toward the front side of the sprocket , there will be a oblong plate with a hex drive on it and 2 bolts holding it down.
Take the 2 bolts out and turn the plate 180 degrees and put the bolts back in ,this takes the gear train out of gear and the brake won't work.
Make sure you turn this plate back before you run machine.
Good Luck
Bob
There's a trick I did not know about!

Bluox

Well no wonder you couldn't find that plate it's on a 225.
On a 235 look in the middle of the bearing retainer on the sprocket side of the final gearcase ,the one that the drive motor is mounted on the inside.
In the middle of that flange is a plug, take the plug out and tighten the nut down should take the final out of gear.
Bob

DSC55

Thanks, it warmed up enough to start her up to rotate, I put the new chain on , ready to put some tension on it to tell how well it follows the teeth. Yesterday it was stiff and cold, like me.