• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 225 pics

992G

The 225 thru 245 were made in Aurora, the 215 came from over seas, however I believe Cat had a plant overseas also that made Excavators, wheel loaders up to a 950 and some scrapers. I remember seeing an article about this plant somewhere. Did you happen to work up in Zion at that landfill.

Speedfill

ah the joys of running 225s... i like to use my knee to control the middle stick when my hands are busy lifting the tracks during a turn... more challenging than simply using your feet in a 300 series hoe. That's about the only good thing i can say about my experience running a 225D... kind of a fun machine, but the one i ran has way too much slop in the pins... and no air conditioning or radio, and smashed up windows... lots of fun.

I agree with you!I operated a 235's for many years and that's a real challenge but it was stong and powerful...and verrrrrry slow!!!!!

WhyWhyZed

225 (51U prefix I believe) was Cat's first excavator 1972 was the first year. Lots of different versions of the 225 came later.
Later 225's were the first Cat excavators to use Rexroth bent axis pumps - I think that was the C model. 229, 231 and the "Custom 180" (180HP 3208).
I recall Cat wanted to introduce the 325 as the first 300 series out of the gate to revisit the heritage of the 225's intro and make a kind of departure from the mitsubishi E/EL stuff. The 325 was really not much different than an E240B really as far as I'm concerned. The E/EL240B was a big step ahead of most of the E/EL series problems

WhyWhyZed

oh, and if I recall, the 231 was different from a 229 in that the 231 had 2 speed travel- a foot operated switch electrically shifted travel motor displacement.
The turbocharged 4 cylinder 225's used turbo boost to pressurize the hydraulic tank and 3208 NA powered units (no turbo) had a little electrically driven air compressor in the radiator compartment and that little compressor pressurized the tank.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums WhyWhyZed! :drinkup

928G Boy

oh, and if I recall, the 231 was different from a 229 in that the 231 had 2 speed travel- a foot operated switch electrically shifted travel motor displacement.
The turbocharged 4 cylinder 225's used turbo boost to pressurize the hydraulic tank and 3208 NA powered units (no turbo) had a little electrically driven air compressor in the radiator compartment and that little compressor pressurized the tank.

Very interesting! Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!

The 225D that I posted a pic of earlier has a 3208 in it... My old man and some other operators from work had the displeasure of running the old 4 banger 225s, apparently they were absolutely gutless.

ror76a

The 225 thru 245 were made in Aurora, the 215 came from over seas, however I believe Cat had a plant overseas also that made Excavators, wheel loaders up to a 950 and some scrapers. I remember seeing an article about this plant somewhere. Did you happen to work up in Zion at that landfill.

I believe that the 215 was made in Aurora too, but like you said they also made them in Europe.

Very interesting! Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!

The 225D that I posted a pic of earlier has a 3208 in it... My old man and some other operators from work had the displeasure of running the old 4 banger 225s, apparently they were absolutely gutless.

My cousins have a 225 with the 3304 in it (Europen version) and the love it. Better on fuel, quieter, as much if not more power, and without a doubt better reliabity than the 3208.

wormkiller

Occupation
IUOE Local 150
Nope, worked the sludge ponds in Elgin.

Rockbreaker

I am very impressed with what you guys know about this late models:notworthy

Is there much differenses betveen the European built models and the US model or is it just engines that seperates them i wonder?

watchzeitgeist

Swapping a 3204 engine for a 3304

I was wondering if anyone knows if the 3204 engine in a caterpillar 215 can be replaced with a 3304 engine?

watchzeitgeist

Swapping a 3204 engine for a 3304

I was wondering if i will need to repalce the pumpdrive & radiator for this engine. Thanks.