1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

CAT 216B3 Wont start

Discussion in 'Mini Skid Steers' started by MattECat, Sep 23, 2020.

1. MattECat

MattECat New Member

I have a Cat 216b3 , was running fine and blowing some black smoke so we decided to tear it down and do a simple rebuild. New gaskets and seals , new fuel pump , new injector pump new injectors . Re assembled everything and it wont fire up - Turns over and is getting fuel (bled the lines). Anyone have any idea what to look at next ??? We did the farm test for compression and it seems to be getting compression on each cylinder. The only thing that i can think left to try is check the timing .... maybe something was not assembled right there ???

Any help or thoughts would be great .

2. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

If you are getting any fuel to the cylinders, regardless of timing, the engine should smoke out of the exhaust. Does it?

mg2361 likes this.
  3. MattECat

MattECat New Member

Yes - we get a little smoke out of the exhaust and it sounds like it is on the verge of starting

4. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

How did you time the IP? Did you have specific and detailed instructions?

mg2361 likes this.
  5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Six different models of 216B3 to choose from when it comes to getting hold of technical information.
    What's your Serial Number..?

Vetech63 likes this.
  6. MattECat

MattECat New Member

JXM00654

Also my mechanic that is working on it said he marked the IP and reassembled it how he found it - not sure if this is the correct answer ?

7. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Yeah, that doesn't work well. Get the timing procedure and try it again. Its the only way to do that correctly.

mg2361 likes this.
  8. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Here's the FIP R&I procedure.

Attached Files:

9. MattECat

MattECat New Member

Nige - can you track down the procedure for engine timing on this unit ? Thanks much !

10. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Here you go. Note the point about not reusing the shims under the pump when reinstalling.

Attached Files:

11. Dave Neubert

Dave Neubert Senior Member

like Nige says did you use the same shims or the correct amount I made this mistake once thought the shims was a gasket and tossed them