• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 2017 259d loses power and is sluggish

Cgray

It gets sluggish after running for about 20-30 min, fuel separator was half full, and priming pump blew fuse, changed fuse and the priming pump, have blown fuel lines to/from tank (no bloackage), now, no power to primer pump connection, checked ground side also, no problem there. Seems like no power to the fuse block…most of the fuse spots aren’t reading 12v, a few do. Any suggestions?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Someone will be along in a second and post a link to the thread showing where to look in the head of the water separator/fuel filter for blocked passages along with other snippets of where you may find two O-rings instead of one - or maybe none at all.

Regarding the power (or lack of it) to the fuel pump, post a Serial Number and you are welcome to an electrical system schematic.

Cgray

The priming pump isn’t getting power to the fuse or to the connector at the pump

heymccall

Try post #4 here...

Cgray

Heymccall, doesn’t look like my setup for some reason, mine cranks fine, just not getting power to fuses or priming pump

Cgray

Thanks for the electrical schem., but I’ve tried to check power, and not getting it to the fuses in the block for several and this machine only has 180 hrs, purchased it new! Just Saying

Nige

If you are not getting power to one half of the fuse panel that looks most likely to be a failure of a power module relay or the fuse that supplies it.
Look on Page 8 of the schematic, Grid C-11. There are two fused relays at that location. One outlined in red feeds the bottom half of the fuse panel via wire 112-C64. The other one, outlined in blue, feeds the top half of the fuse panel via wire 112-C63.
As HMC said, check the 20A fuses that live right next to those two relays and/or swap the relays over. If power disappears to the other half of the fuse panel but comes back to the half that didn't have power before, you've found your culprit.

1684285648967.png

Cgray

Swapping the relays does nothing to help the situation, those three relays are all the same
numbers

Nige

those three relays are all the same numbers
And that's why I suggested swapping them around, because they are identical makes it possible without anything going bang.

Back to the schematic. At this point go looking for power. Pull out two relays, the one in the centre and the one on the right. They are the two that feed the two halves of the fuse box. Test for power at Pin 30 (circled) of the connector in the cab firewall into which the relay fits. The back side of the relay where the terminals are should have Pin 30 marked on it to help you figure out which one it is. there should be power on Pin 30 of all three of those relays so long as the battery is connected.

1684287517307.png

Cgray

My relays are top to bottom set up, but I will do that in the morning, if you don’t mind.

Nige

it’s common for the layout on the machine to be different to that on the schematic. I suggest that you can identify which relay is which by using the schematic to identify the wire numbers & colours. For each relay the wires will be slightly different.

It could easily be that the main power relay (the one on the left in the schematic) is located elsewhere.