• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 12F grader--newbie learning the ropes

Onfoot

Occupation
Retired
Just became proud owner of a Cat 12F grader. Serial number 59H498. I think it's a 1968, but have had no luck looking up the SN online.

Have attached a photo. Seems to run well--everything working, knock on wood. Welcome any wisdom from the forum about the 12F. I bought it to maintain my 1.5 mile gravel driveway. (I live off grid in the Yukon bush.)

Thanks!

Attachments

• New Toy 2.JPG
    New Toy 2.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 74

grandpa

I had one like that years ago. Always enjoyed running that machine. When your sitting in the seat, there is a kick plate at floor level. Under there is a shear pin for your controls, so If they ever quit function make that the first place to look.

sled dog

I had one like that years ago. Always enjoyed running that machine. When your sitting in the seat, there is a kick plate at floor level. Under there is a shear pin for your controls, so If they ever quit function make that the first place to look.
Grandpa, good call. If he has no spares he needs to get a couple. It's been years, but used to keep them in a little box down near the floor, but I don't remember what that box was for. Fuses?

Onfoot

Occupation
Retired
Thanks, guys! Funny you mention the shear pins. When it was delivered (two nights ago), the transport driver had raised the mould board when he loaded it just in case it failed to start for unloading. It started up fine, but he had managed to break the sheer pin. He didn't know what he had done, but I had been warned by the previous owner who had included a dozen or so. So 5 minutes and she was restored to full function.

The previous owner had it for some dozens of years. He's 82 and crippled up, so had been about 4 years since he had it running. He started working graders when he was 15, working for the county who just presumed he had a drivers license! Anyway, it was babied pretty well. Oil levels and etc. all good. No signs of leaking. Sounds pretty when its running. Gears stay where they are supposed to be. Would like to have the brakes engage a bit 'higher' on the brake pedal--but found a maintenance manual online, so will see what I can do. (Brakes work fine--but only about an above the floor board.)

Appreciate the wisdom!

Onfoot

Occupation
Retired
Had her out today for my first run at plowing the driveway. Not that it needed plowing, but wanting to get the hang of the machine. Photo attached. She really purred. Mind you, there are some cosmetic and other minor details that will need attention. E.g.., the RH door latch is beyond repair. Welcome advice about where one might be picked up. Meantime the door stays shut with a bungee...

Attachments

• grader first run 1.jpg
    grader first run 1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 53

Tugger2

Looks like a good one. Your certainly in grader country up there with all the gravel roads . Ive seen quite a few retired ones in my travels up there over the years. If you stop at the motel in Dease lake you might have noticed an old picture in the lobby of 3 or 4 graders working at once down highway 37 when it was dirt . I think there is lots of grader history in the north.

Onfoot

Occupation
Retired
A newbie question: the Cat 12F grader specs, so far as I have been able to determine, call for tire pressure of 35lbs. But I have wondered if snow traction for plowing might benefit from lower pressures--say 20lbs? Any voice of long experience in the community?

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
I bought a 14E at the Golden Hill auction in Whitehorse a few years ago. I live in Haines, AK. What side is the door latch for?

Attachments

• 36051F1D-BAE9-454D-AC20-3DFDA1917ECE.jpeg
    36051F1D-BAE9-454D-AC20-3DFDA1917ECE.jpeg
    721.4 KB · Views: 28

westerner

Heavy equipment tire pressure questions are a great topic. At my shop, there were several schools of thought. The objective was trying to minimize the 'hop' as they attempted to flat-blade a road in 6th or 7th gear.

Visit the tire manufacturer for a 'weight/speed' related answer, or visit the 'operating engineers' local for the quick and dirty.

Bias vs radial is a significant variable, just like on your truck.

The tire manufacturer's site will define the load the tire can handle, at the pressure required to do it. Much more range of application than car/light truck tires.

Onfoot

Occupation
Retired
I bought a 14E at the Golden Hill auction in Whitehorse a few years ago. I live in Haines, AK. What side is the door latch for?
Thanks for asking. It's the RH door latch. Attached a couple of photos. The LH is the good one.

Attachments

• IMG_5979.JPG
    IMG_5979.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5980.JPG
    IMG_5980.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5981.JPG
    IMG_5981.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 27

Onfoot

Occupation
Retired
Heavy equipment tire pressure questions are a great topic. At my shop, there were several schools of thought. The objective was trying to minimize the 'hop' as they attempted to flat-blade a road in 6th or 7th gear.

Visit the tire manufacturer for a 'weight/speed' related answer, or visit the 'operating engineers' local for the quick and dirty.

Bias vs radial is a significant variable, just like on your truck.

The tire manufacturer's site will define the load the tire can handle, at the pressure required to do it. Much more range of application than car/light truck tires.
Great advice! Thanks!

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
I have some extra that I got from Industrial Hardware. PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one.
If you look at my posts you'll see the door I made.You can buy me a drink at the Wax Museum (Casa Loma) when this China Virus is history!

Onfoot

Occupation
Retired
Thanks, DB2! I have ordered a door latch. Much appreciate your help!

Also, a few pics from yesterday's adventures on my total ice rink driveway. Was not grading--just trying to get to the top. But with wheels going forward, I began to slide downhill. Ended up with drive wheels over the edge. Quite an adventure! But we survived and learned a few lessons... (very rare to have ice like we have)

Grader stuck.jpg Grader secured.jpg Grader Rescuer.jpg Grader back on the driveway.jpg

Reactions: DB2

JPV

Ice sucks on a hill with a grader! I would recommend getting chains for the front drivers. Chaining both rear tandems keeps everything pulling evenly in the chain boxes and obviously helps traction as well. The tire that is chained will be pulling quite a bit harder on its chain which could cause premature failure and higher wear.