• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 12F grader glow plugs

Onfoot

Occupation
Retired
As I continue to learn the ropes, I am wanting to test the glow plugs on my 1968 12F. (S/N 58H498) The current p/n is DS-3T-9562 (original p/n 3S-9624). Can anyone tell me what should be the ohms? Thanks!

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
You will see .5 to 1.5 ohms. Really, what you are looking for is an open circuit (OL) and anomalies. Good or bad.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Those are heavy duty, power consuming glow plugs. They can ohm-out OK and still not work right. Especially if you are using a modern digital high-impedance multimeter.

I recommend individually jumping them with a 24volt + test wire and looking for a spark at the terminal. Easy-peazy.

Bluox

Take a 24 volt test lite and hook the ground clamp on the battery + post .
Unplug the glow plugs and touch each one with the test lite, if it lites plug likely good if it don't lite plug bad.
Bob

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
An ohm meter works just fine. Just pull the connecting wire off before testing a plug. The failure mode is a short to ground or no continuity at all. Those plugs use about 7 amps each. If you have a working amp meter on the panel, it should go all the way to the left when you turn the switch to heat. That should be no less than 35 amps.

Onfoot

Occupation
Retired
An ohm meter works just fine. Just pull the connecting wire off before testing a plug. The failure mode is a short to ground or no continuity at all. Those plugs use about 7 amps each. If you have a working amp meter on the panel, it should go all the way to the left when you turn the switch to heat. That should be no less than 35 amps.

Thanks, John C. Useful info. Amp meter goes about halfway to the left at present. I'm guessing that there are at least a couple of glow plugs that are toast.