• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 12 Water pump

moonshine454

Hi folks! I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with rebuilding the water pump on a 99E motor Grader. And how difficult is it? Also wondering if anybody might know where I could find a place that sells rebuilt or aftermarket ones in Texas. Cat wants $1200 for one and that just ain't going to happen.
Thanks for any info!

Bluox

Call Cat back and ask about a rebuild kit or if they have a classic pump.
Good luck
Bob

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
No rebuild kit or Classic Part # as far as I can see. None listed anyway. Need exact machine Serial Number or better still the engine number - there are 3 Serial # ranges of 99E all of which have different Part # of water pumps.

What's wrong with the existing pump..? Bearings shot, leaking coolant, ...? Depending on the condition of the current pump it may be easier to rebuild than buy a replacement.

moonshine454

Thanks folks, I went ahead and bought one from American Crane. Hoping that it is the right one. It is the one that the parts book says that it is (5M-7491). I have my fingers crossed! I probably could have rebuilt it but by the time I get someone to press everything in, my time and paying them.

I now have a bigger problem, I broke off the head on one of the bolts to the thermostat housing! Any tips? I have half an inch of bolt sticking out.

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
Remove any remaining bolts and remove the housing. Heat the broken bolt red hot and allow to cool. It will shrink and should come right out with vice grips or a pipe wrench. A little Kroil up the threads after cooling can help. Then get on your knees and thank Jesus the bolt broke off sticking out and not flush.

moonshine454

Got the stuck bolt out. It came out pretty easy, I let it soak in PBblaster over the weekend. Do any of ya'll have the torque specs for the water pump bolts and the coolant capacity for 99E3881? Thanks for all the help!