• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caseih 5130 PTO problems

wsw

I have a customer with a Case ih 5130 Maxum and they told me the PTO just suddenly stopped, I am mostly heavy equipment repair but this is a good customer and I will be going out to look at it as soon as I am done with the current job. Any advise ?

Richardjw~

check to see if the linkages are still attached, make sure the 540/1000 selector is engaging.
The PTO circuit runs about 280psi and is common to the transmission, diff-lock and MFD, if there's a major leak these will also be affected

wsw

I have not been there yet but they say this tractor you spin the shaft around for 1000 from 540 PTO speed

Iron@Dirt

There is a sliding collar in the housing that shifts gears with the different end of the shaft, known for giving trouble.

wsw

Is this something you access through the rear of tractor or from top, below the seat?
Is it usually hydraulic or mechanical ?
thanks Iron@Dirt

Iron@Dirt

Rarely you can shim the shaft to push a little farther back but is temporary. The pto will eventialy need a rebuild. The whole housing will need to be pulled, put on a table and dissected. Not real complicated but a little tedious. There are two pins that press into the shifting colar that wear and limit stroke of the shifting gears ( use to polish new pins a little to make driveing them esier into the tight spot you have to work in). You have to thread a metric bolt a little longer than standard to pull pins out, forgot what size. If you have acsess to a manual it is a great help with sequence of steps.

wsw

But I access this from the rear of the tractor? I will have no problem doing this I am just not familiar with this machine, I just finnished a complete transmission rebuild on a Cat 966G loader. I work mostly on heavy equipment and also on Cat diesels in trucks and yachts.
Thanks for your time

Last edited:

Richardjw~

yes, the entire rear housing comes off from the centre/diff housing, sling it from the top-pink lift point
make sure you eliminate the hyd/elec circuits before ripping the back off 'er

housing.jpg

Last edited:

Iron@Dirt

Thanks Richard for the pic. Do you have the internals showing the speed selection? wsw, if you pull it apart I forgot to tell you about how easy it is to nick the oring around the sliding tube.

Iron@Dirt

Thanks for the drawings. Left the dealership 17 years ago and havent done one since, even the ones I rebuilt Case was updating parts to make more reliable. Didnt remember spring and ball. Last drawing shows pins hooking into sliding tube. Good luck.