• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case90xt stopping...

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
There’s a name plate on the side of the inj pump.. it’s best if u can get the 10 digit pn 0 402 ... ... & contact your local fuel shop for an overflow valve..
I blew up the Cummins pn off the gov.. 3930148. THAT will cross to the Bosch pn..
Yes.. that looks like it.

Delmer

Does this die even if it's sitting there idling for five minutes? Does it die faster if it's working hard? How many times has it died now? never runs past five minutes?

If it runs five minutes, dies, then you let it sit half an hour, does it start up right away like nothing is wrong? or take several long cranking sessions? If it starts right up, I'd go to the electrical side, if it has an external shut off solenoid on the injection pump, then pull that in and hold it with a zip tie or wire, and see if it runs past five minutes. That will eliminate everything on the electrical side, IF it has an external shut off solenoid.

jeeper350

It seems pretty random.. and will die while sitting still.. and it may run only a few minutes or 15.. its really random.. and i haven't noticed a specific time frame for it startimg back up either.. ill have to look and see if I can see a shut off solenoid.... the last time it lasted like 15 or 20 minutes I was loading and moving buckets full of stone.. so working hard doesn't seem to effect it.. its just random.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
How's the electrical on the machine. Are you keeping 12V at shutoff solenoid? And does solenoid release when it shuts down or is it still activated?

Reactions: DB2

jeeper350

I dont even know where it is.. fixing to go look for it.. one other thing.. when it dies I can crank it and it sounds like its running till I release the key from start to just on position it stops.. or thats the way it seems..

jeeper350

20200705_194928.jpg
20200705_195113.jpg
Never mind think I found it.. this is on the inside of the pump closest to the block.. so guess I'll zip tie it one i start it to hold it

jeeper350

oh.. and it always fires right up after sitting.. doesnt have to crank. Its has died maybe 10 or 12 times while I am messing with it working it..

Delmer

Other versions of that engine with an inline injection pump like that are known for the solenoid failing. It has three wires, one ground, one "run", and one that only comes on with the starter to pull the solenoid in, then the run coil holds it in. A coil getting hot, and failing to hold it in fit's your symptoms. Try the zip tie even if you have to find an Asian Midget to do it. Or replace that solenoid ( or test the electrical for the "run" coil getting voltage, but it starts when cold, so I'll guess it's getting voltage unless there's another coil that's week in a relay controlling that solenoid, doubt it)

jeeper350

Other versions of that engine with an inline injection pump like that are known for the solenoid failing. It has three wires, one ground, one "run", and one that only comes on with the starter to pull the solenoid in, then the run coil holds it in. A coil getting hot, and failing to hold it in fit's your symptoms. Try the zip tie even if you have to find an Asian Midget to do it. Or replace that solenoid ( or test the electrical for the "run" coil getting voltage, but it starts when cold, so I'll guess it's getting voltage unless there's another coil that's week in a relay controlling that solenoid, doubt it)
Interesting... one other thing I think I forgot to mention..is that if I immediately try to restart it... and it won't fire up.... but if I hold the key in start position it sounds like its running just fine... as long as I hold in start.. the way you describe the wiring that makes sense..

Jordan Gobin

The white wire going to the fuel shut-off solenoid on the fuel injection pump can break at the connector or in the insulation near the connector. Look for that. Ive also seen the injection pump be replaced and the cold start advance was swapped with the shutoff solenoid so when it got up to temp it would engage the shutoff solenoid and then would not start until temp went back to below a certain amount. So if there was no work done involving removing those wires, it could be shorted or have an electrical problem to those circuits acting like that.

jeeper350

Gotcha.. i ran it today till it stopped opened the cab and had my son watch while I cranked it.. and it would run.. let go to on position and it drops.. so gater its getting warm its failing.. looking for the part as we speak.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Gotcha.. i ran it today till it stopped opened the cab and had my son watch while I cranked it.. and it would run.. let go to on position and it drops.. so gater its getting warm its failing.. looking for the part as we speak.
You will need 87420952 solenoid and tow of J991132 bolt. The solenoid changes numbers and mounting bracket is attached to solenoid now, the new bolts are just a tad longer than the old ones to accommodate the thicker plate.

jeeper350

Yes sir.. thank you.. got the part and bolts yesterday.. started taking old one out.. the bottom bolt on the old bracket is a pain in da rear to get to.