• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case90xt stopping...

jeeper350

I have a 2000 or 2001 case 90xt skid steer.. with 2180 hours on it.. its a high flow machine. After running 3 to 5 minutes its shutting down. If I let it sit a few minutes it will fire up again and run for 3-5 minutes.. when it shutdown im gettimg these lights on...
20200705_114618.jpg
Im thinking its having a flow problem or overheating hydraulic fluid? I don't have a manual so don't know what the warning lights mean exactly..
The filters are a few years old maybe.. but only have 100 hours on them or so.. One thing I'm fixing to go check is that the fluid level is high enough with arms lifted up.. as a couple months ago I did rebuild lower cylinders... and maybe didn't get it topped off. Thanks in advance for any help.

jeeper350

I just checked.. when bucket is down its about 1 inch from top of sight glass.. and when its all the way up.. its about 1/2" above bottom of sight glass.

Delmer

I think those lights are to be expected after the engine dies, they don't come on until the engine is nearly completely stopped, do they?

You need to find out whether the engine is running out of fuel, or whether it's getting it's electrical power shut off, the two most likely things causing it to die, but start back up repeatedly. If you post a picture of your fuel injection pump, somebody can probably give you some real good advice on where to start.

The lights are engine oil pressure, transmission oil pressure/temp? and parking brake(which is hydraulically released so that just means no hydraulic pressure). Don't those lights come on when you turn the key to "on" before you start the engine?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I’m pretty sure it has a RoosaMaster/Stanadyne Pump on it.. in which case it sounds like a broken flex ring problem..(clogged return connector)
Remove ALL the fittings from the top cover of the inj pump & start the engine.. if it stays running that’s good.. while it’s running install the fittings 1 x 1 until it shuts down again.. Once it shuts down, there’s your problem..
It’s probably gonna be a clogged return connector.. clean it out and try again..
If it continues to shut down, the fix is to pull the injection pump off & have it repaired..
If it comes to that.. contact me & I can be of assistance..
Good luck.

jeeper350

Yeah was just gonna update... that yes those lights are supposed to be on.. idiot lights.. insert me.. lol
Yeah I am talking to a buddy.. and i am trying to determine if there is air in system.. ill post a pic now of injection pump.. and look into what you are talking about thepumpguy.. thanks both for the rapid response!

jeeper350

20200705_154238.jpg 20200705_154224.jpg
First pic.. is that used to bleed the system? Its the return line coming from all the injectors... but if i crack it open there.. will it add air since that line behind it feeds fuel from the lift pump? Or do they seperate them in that fitting?

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
There should be a lift pump in that fuel system.. I would guess that that’s the problem..
Is there a hand primer on the lift/supply pump.??

jeeper350

There should be a lift pump in that fuel system.. I would guess that that’s the problem..
Is there a hand primer on the lift/supply pump.??
Yes lift pump is just below what I thought may be the bleed screw... it does have a hand primer.. i took the fuel water seperator off and thought I'd try amd crank it to see how much fuel was coming from lift pump... it was squirting a pretty substantial amount.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
There are 2 major weak points in that system..
The supply pump and/or the overflow valve..
If the supply pump is bad, it won’t pump enough fuel UP TO the inj pump..
If the overflow valve is bad, it won’t hold enough fuel in the fuel gallery to feed the pumping plungers..
On the inj pump there’s a fuel IN and an OUT.. The ovflo is located on the OUT side.. it’s just a spring n ball fitting that holds fuel in the fuel gallery..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
That system needs right at 25psi of fuel in the gallery to run correctly.
That’s what the overflow should pop off at.. 1.5 bar

jeeper350

So.. this is on the back end of the injection pump.. opposite from the feed line.. i assume I would need to hook some kind of fittimg up to it to see what pressure its popping at or allowing? So probably gonma need a special tool... or can I get it at orielys or advanced?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
A lot of times the spring will break.. & u can shake it to tell..
The “right way” is to plumb a gauge in the outlet to see what pressure is in the gallery.. & even at that, it’s a crapshoot at which 1 is bad.. it’ll just show the pressure is low..
I can push on the ball n spring w a pick/scribe & tell if it’s good or bad.. but that takes years to develop..

jeeper350

20200705_162427.jpg
Sorry didn't post the pic of where the overflow is.. is it inside that fitting? So if I undo that fitting I will see a spring?