• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case W9D wheel loader

Jeff D.

Anyone have any time/experience with one of these oldies? It's about a '68 model, and has the diesel engine. It's 4wd.

I am looking at it for a friend for use in his junkyard business, but may buy it myself and sell my Hough to him instead if it's a better machine.

I looked at it today. It's in decent shape, with very good rubber and is completely operational. The owner is still deciding on what he wants for it.

Any input is appreciated.

Jeff

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Thats old I don't know if I would want something that old besides a Cat or Terex. Those old machines like that you will have troubles trying to find parts for.

I Googled what one of the machines looks like it doesn't even articulate it has rear wheel steering like a forklift.

You guys sure like the antiques :lmao

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Even if the machine is in better shape, I would stick with the one you got, Jeff. I've operated a rear steer before and operate the articulates everyday but I wouldn't ever go with the rear steer. Letcha buddy get that one...:bouncegri

Jeff D.

Even if the machine is in better shape, I would stick with the one you got, Jeff. I've operated a rear steer before and operate the articulates everyday but I wouldn't ever go with the rear steer. Letcha buddy get that one...:bouncegri
It wouldn't make much difference, my Hough isn't articulating either.:wink2

But I have done alot of work on mine already, and this other one "looks" like an older design, even though it is in good of shape. It may have some capacity over my Hough, lift wise, though.

Countryboy

Occupation
I thought your Hough was articulated. Well, your used to rear wheel steer then. I'm not and didn't care for it. I had already been running artics for awhile :yup . I'd go with the better one then if the price is right. You gonna tear into that cylinder before ya sell it, if you decide to sell it?

Jeff D.

I thought your Hough was articulated. Well, your used to rear wheel steer then. I'm not and didn't care for it. I had already been running artics for awhile :yup . I'd go with the better one then if the price is right. You gonna tear into that cylinder before ya sell it, if you decide to sell it?
I don't know that I'm use to rear steer yet, as I've only had the Hough a couple of months maybe. I've never ran an articulating anything so.................I am more use to rear steer.:bouncegri

It'll depend on the price I guess, which way I decide to go. If my buddy really wants this Case, I'll let him buy it, even if it is better than mine. I suspect that's the case here too, because he's been asking me all sorts of questions about it today, since I told him about it, so...............

Besides my Hough is in decent enough shape anyways, I can live with it.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Thats old I don't know if I would want something that old besides a Cat or Terex.

You guys sure like the antiques :lmao

I bought an old John Deere 310 TLB when I was building my home to do my own excavation work with. It wasn't pretty by any means, but it worked.

After owning the machine for about 10 years, I got laid off from my job of 20 years and rather than start at the bottom for another company, I decided to start my own business. I used my 310 on a number of jobs and got paid for doing them.

One time I had my machine at my buddy's shop, he was letting me use his facilities to make a repair to it. I caught a lot of ribbing from his employees about my "piece of junk", it wasn't worth repairing... drive it to the scrapyard and park it... I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing.....One ex-union operator was especially critical and wouldn't let up. I finally looked him square in the eye and asked him if he had a 100' ditch to dig, would he rather use this (handed him a shovel) or my machine? I didn't hear any more crap after that.

Old equipment may not be desirable by some, but it works just fine for others. And it certainly is better than having no equipment at all!!! Sorry for hijacking your thread Jeff, but I'm starting to see a pattern in posting I'm not comfortable with.

Jeff D.

Old equipment may not be desirable by some, but it works just fine for others. And it certainly is better than having no equipment at all!!! Sorry for hijacking your thread Jeff, but I'm starting to see a pattern in posting I'm not comfortable with.
No problem!

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not using my equipment 8hrs/day 5days/wk for business, and wouldn't expect that it hold up in that type of environment very dependably. I only use it for occasional work, and although they do break down much more frequently, I have plenty of time to repair them.

I know most on the forum do this stuff for a living exclusively, and need "good" equipment, so I understand the desire for modern stuff.

But, since it is a "Heavy Equipment Forum" I'd think all heavy equipment discussions would be worthy of posting.:beatsme

We have quite a few members who've "been around" the industry for longer than I've been alive. It's their knowledge of the older equipment that I'm hoping to learn from.

And thanks again Steve for providing a place to do that.:thumbsup

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Considering the environment and economics of a wrecking yard or a demolition company, a well maintained older machine can make a good deal of sense.
We have a large demo company here in Omaha, and the larger percentage of their loader fleet is 1960-65 977H loaders. They have the mechanics and shop forces to repair them, and they can make what they can't buy. When I asked them why they preferreed them, the mechanic told that because they were built so tough, they held up better than newer loaders.
Ain't no plastic in a 977H, that's for sure!

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I was just giving Jeff a bad time :yup

We have a few contractors that run old equipment one of the forestry contractors still has his 1969 966 Cat he bought when he first started in the late 70s.

Jeff D.

I went and snapped some pics of the loader today. We're still working out what the final price would be. It's in darn nice shape for an almost 40yr old machine.:yup

Anyone have an opinion of what they think something like this might be worth?:beatsme

Attachments

• Case W9D 002 (Small).jpg
    Case W9D 002 (Small).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 4,226
  • Case W9D 005 (Small).jpg
    Case W9D 005 (Small).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,414
  • Case W9D 007 (Small).jpg
    Case W9D 007 (Small).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,414
  • Case W9D 010 (Small).jpg
    Case W9D 010 (Small).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,716

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Its not a bad looking machine prolly okay for somebody that needs something to move stuff around their yard keeping in mind if the machine ever dies its going to be expensive to fix.

Countryboy

Occupation
I like the one you got Jeff. Do you have any specs to compare and share?

Jeff D.

I like the one you got Jeff. Do you have any specs to compare and share?
I like the design of the Hough better than the Case too.

I don't have much specs for either, and can't seem to find them.
My Hough is around 65hp/gasser, the Case 82hp/diesel.
My Hough is 11,350lbs, the Case 15k lbs+(?)

The Hough cab is setup much nicer inside though, and has better visability. This Case is built very utilitairan/crude.

I like the Case's engine better. It's 401 Cu.in NA 6cylinder diesel, although it's only 82hp, 200something ft/lbs torque, which is suprising to me considering the cubes. but my Hough does have an almost new engine, so...........:beatsme

It's a tough choice, do I want a Ford Maverick, or an AMC Matador? Hmmm.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• comparison (Small).jpg
    comparison (Small).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,760

jmac

Jeff, I see the ear muffs in the cab of the case, I bet it is loud. Have you heard it run full yet? My case roller is real loud and I need ear muffs for that or ears will start to ring. As far as the older equipment goes I think Steve said it best. In a perfect world and money to spend every one would just go out a buy new equipment, we know that ain't so. I think part of the fun for you is the fact that you fix it up and even if you had unlimited funds to spend I don't think you would buy brand new. Just look at Dwans (Dawns) art work. :bouncegri

Jeff D.

You're right Jmac!:thumbsup Even if I had unlimited funds I'd still have old junk around, and still be rebuilding it. It's a sickness maybe!:wink2

There are much worse sickness's a guy could have though, than that.:yup

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
The 401 Case engines are quiet engines, suprisingly easy on fuel, just don't walk by it with an ice cream cone cause it doesn't want to start. That motor was used alot by Case, was in the line up to the W20B and in the 970 Farm tractors as well, just didn't start well.:bash

cat320

Charter Member
Looking at the two it be hard to say which is really better one is a diesel and one gas i always like diesel better but the gas has better visabilty. If i was going to get a loader it would have to be articulated.

I very rearly see any of thos machine here near me if it's old it's still arcticulated.I guess you can tell i'm not a fan of older machines well at least ones that will be used to work lol if it was a restoration job and be sitting then that's a differant story.

Last edited:

Jeff D.

Jeff, I see the ear muffs in the cab of the case, I bet it is loud.
Oh, I missed this part yesterday, sorry Jmac. The Case is owned by my neighbor who manufactures septic tanks. I bought my Hough from him. I believe this machine was also used (like the Hough was) to load gravel into a hopper (for mixing with the crete) in a room where there's a big vibrating very noisy machine thingy. They might've been there because of that.
DR RPM said:
The 401 Case engines are quiet engines, suprisingly easy on fuel, just don't walk by it with an ice cream cone cause it doesn't want to start. That motor was used alot by Case, was in the line up to the W20B and in the 970 Farm tractors as well, just didn't start well.
Do you know much else about them? Were they dependable? Was it Case's own engine design then?

I agree about the starting. It's hard to start. My Hough fires right up in the cold. One of the few nice thing about the gas motors.
cat320 said:
If i was going to get a loader it would have to be articulated.
Luckily for me I don't know what I'm missing out on yet!:bouncegri

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
As a Case parts man I can give you some insite on the hard to get parts. Engine stuff is readily available if anyone tried to tell you differently, pm and I'll pull some out of the bin for you. Tranny stuff you can usually get new depending on what your looking at. Pay attention to the steering drag yokes, they are hard to get and very pricy if you find them. Your talking a grand a piece for a little offset yoke. Another thing to check out is the yokes that transfer the power from the differentials to the wheels. Not to say that if they need replaced the machine should not be purchased, you might want to price them out first though.

Last edited: