1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Case W7D Loader

Discussion in 'Wheel Loaders' started by W7D Jay, Apr 26, 2021.

1. W7D Jay

W7D Jay Member

I have a late 1960's (I believe) Case W7D (Diesel) Loader with a blown engine. In the W7E manual (The only manual I could find for it) it lists;
    All four of these engines for the W7E loader; 267B, 301B, 336BD, 336BDT
    I'm trying to figure out which engine matches the serial numbers of my W7D loader #9806628 ?
    and what other type of Case equipment would have a matching engine to it.
    20210221_154832 (1).jpg 20210306_151107.jpg 20210306_151148.jpg

2. Dave Neubert

Dave Neubert Senior Member

830 tractor

Coy Lancaster likes this.
  3. Coy Lancaster

Coy Lancaster Senior Member

service tech
    880 Case excavator has a 336BDT or a W14 loader has a 336BD if I remember correctly. The straight 850's had a 301BD in them.

4. W7D Jay

W7D Jay Member

Thanks, I thought the engine was a 301BD in the W7 but there are some conflicting things such as what the manual states as a 301B as an option above in my original thread question.
    Also some other engines that are suppose to be the same in tractors have the injectors on the opposite side of the engine, or other inconsistencies.
    However this is what our local Case dealer had to say:
    I checked with Case and due to the age, the information you are after is not readily available. You will have to identify the engine by the casting number on the block or
    there might be a tag on the valve cover. - S.E. Equipment Co.

I am getting the numbers I can verify from the block and see if it will shed some light on it, but I am disappointed that Case doesn't have a data base that can be easily accessed by one of their dealers, especially since the serial number tag is still on the machine.

5. Coy Lancaster

service tech
    According to the online parts page the W7 had either a 301BD which is a diesel or a 284G which is a gas burner.

6. W7D Jay

W7D Jay Member

Thanks Coy, It is a diesel and that is what I had thought from the beginning a 301BD.
    I then looked it up at Jensales on line the engine 301BD and what other tractor shared that engine and it showed a Case 680C tractor backhoe/loader
    and a Case 450 dozer. Well, I found a Case 680C for sale but when I saw the picture of the side of the engine the injectors appear to be on the opposite side
    of the engine in relation to the radiator, pictures attached. Then I became more confused about the engine. 00D0D_2sJioTSAijtz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

7. W7D Jay

W7D Jay Member

This is the attached Jensales sheet that has shown the most information but I'm unsure if all is correct based upon the photos of the 680C

Attached Files:

8. Coy Lancaster

service tech
    If you can find an old 475 Case cable layer they had a 301 in them also.

9. W7D Jay

W7D Jay Member

Yes, thanks, but I don't understand why doesn't the 680C I've located look correct? It is suppose to have the same 301BD engine? Jen.jpg

Attached Files:

• Jen.jpg
      Jen.jpg
      File size:
      788.9 KB
      Views:
    Coy Lancaster likes this.
  10. melben

melben Senior Member

The engine in that loader is the old series Indirect Injection series, the cubic inch plate is just forward of the injection pump on the engine model plate. The Direct injection engine has the injection pump located on the LH side of the engine and the oil filter on the right side, it will sit in and connect to the drive as normal, Front mount and bell housing patterns are the same, throttle linkages , fuel shutoff, engine wiring, cooling system hookups and that type thing will have to be fabbed up. Any CID direct injection would be more than equivalent in HP to the old engine.

11. W7D Jay

W7D Jay Member

Great information. Thanks Melben.

12. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

The 301 and 336 are the same basic engine . The 336 has bigger sleeves and pistons in it.
    Thousands of them were used in both construction and agricultural tractors.
    If you need the service manual for them I have it.
    PM me your email address and I can send you a link to my Google Drive.

JimInOz and Coy Lancaster like this.