• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case W36 wont move & hyd dont work

1mancompany

Hey, :confused:

I started my case the other day and was letting it warm up. I heard a loud noise that didn't sound good, sort of clunking. I ran to it and shut it off. Checked around could not find anything wrong. I cranked it back up (no noise) and put it in forward and it surged a couple of times. I put it in reverse and the same happened now nothing. On top of the trans is the hyd pump, the charge pump with filter and the cooling pump. I pulled the pumps and tried to look at these gears as I tuned the engine over. The best I can tell, the gear that turns these pumps is not turning. Went to casece parts diagram and cannot get a good pic of this gear and what turns it or how it works. I pulled the plate to look at the fly wheel, it turns with out obstuction and turns freely with engine running. I pulled the screen on the side of the trans tank and it had very little fine bright metal shavings and some gasget maker on it but was pretty clear. All total the metal shavings would have not been more than a finger nail. I have not checked the other screen on the back as I did not know there was one there. The trans magnetic plug did not have chunks of steel on it. Is there somthing that stops this gear from turning, is there a pump swome where I am missing or does anyone know what could be wrong. I really need to put it to work.

oh the loader had sat for a couple of months and squirles had built nest and chewed wires.

I know there are some of yall who know a lot more about machanicing on these things than I do. So I am willing to listen and start the trouble shooting all over to get to the problem. I called a local shop and and the best they could tell me is they would have to take it apart and it would cost between $2500 and $5000. The last time I did that with my skid steer they told me oh it will be a couple hundred bucks, When I went to pick it up it was $900 and and the problem still wasnt fixed. I told them about it and they said well we did all we know to do. When I asked about my $900, they told me well we had alot of time in it and thats just the way it is if I want my skidsteer back. I wound up trouble shooting that one myself and after $400 and a new Control display panel it was fixed. Had a similar situation with the two close by John Deere shops. So as you can see im not big on just droppin it off. I hope to be able to fix it myself or at least tell them what I want done so I really know what Im in for.

Hope yall can help.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Sounds like the fiber drive gear has let go. Not unusual on a Clark. The fiber gear bolts to the flywheel and meshes with the input gear on the convertor.
If you have an inspection plate or even a drain plug on the bell housing you should be able to see the flywheel. If that is what it is be sure to replace the bolts with new and most of them had safety wire too. The other thing that can cause the same problem is the input shaft in the convertor, it drives a set of gears that drive the pumps along with the convertor impeller. Don't very often have that to break. My money is on the fiber gear. It would require moving the trans back a few inches to get at it.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Yes that's the one. sometimes they break up, other times they just wear out and finally strip the internal teeth. Years ago they used a steel gear but it was too noisy so they went to fiber.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
We've always pulled the engine rather than move tranny back but it's up to you. Usually it's not to bad removing hood and panels. Remove the rad and hardnose as an assembly. use an engine hoist or overhead and chain engine. Remove the 12 bolts around transmission housing. Remove 3 bolts from engine mounts, walk engine far enough out to replace fibre ring. Make sure item #4 is not badly scored or worn if it is replace it too.

1mancompany

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help. It apprears you are right on, the fiber drive gear is the problem. I pulled the 1/4 plate off the bottom of Fly wheel housing and found a couple chipped fiber teeth and pulled the plate off the top of the flywheel housing, I believe it was #5 in the pic turned freely with engine off. Started the engine and flywheel turned and #5 did not move. I am deciding which route to go. There is a welded plate behind trans that will only give me an inch to slide back. Any advise i will take. Will keep yall posted on how it goes.

Thanks again for your help

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
In your case I defer to gggraham, pulling the engine forward is the best way, 1 inch isn't enough room. Putting it back together will take some patience, the gears don't always just slide together, the convertor may droop a little. Another trick I used is to take a couple of long bolts with the heads cut off and screwed into the bell housing act a line up tools to line the trans back with the engine, I also cut a slot in the end of the bolts for a screwdriver in case they are hard to get out. Early fiber gears had 8 bolts and the later ones had 16. Good luck, if you need any other info, just ask.

In your case I defer to gggraham, pulling the engine forward is the best way, 1 inch isn't enough room. Putting it back together will take some patience, the gears don't always just slide together, the convertor may droop a little. Another trick I used is to take a couple of long bolts with the heads cut off and screwed into the bell housing act a line up tools to line the trans back with the engine, I also cut a slot in the end of the bolts for a screwdriver in case they are hard to get out. Early fiber gears had 8 bolts and the later ones had 16. Good luck, if you need any other info, just ask.

I'm looking at buying a W36 but it will barely push anything and only does 8mph. It moves itself around but will not spin the tires when pushing into a pile.
Any help is appreciated thanks!