• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case w11 problem

tightgtp

Occupation
lead service technician for the largest forklift c
i've got a case w11 that started have a drifting loader arm problem. did some investigating and found the lift spool sits higher in the valve than the tilt spool. anyone had those valves apart? any idea what i might run into when disassembling?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Can't remember if lift spool sits higher than others - maybe someone with a machine can verify before you dive into pulling it down.
"drift"? - does that mean the loader is creeping down on it's own - regardless if engine running or not?
If the spool feels normal - not tight or binding or any freeplay at neutral - I would start by looking at the piston seals at the lift cyls - thats where 'most' creeping problems are caused.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I agree with Alrman. on the W11 that I operated that was the problem, but it wasnt the packing in the cylinder, it was the cylinder walls themselves. it wasnt so bad with the arms all the way up in the air, but the lower you got , the worse it was. I used to do a lot of driving around the city with it, doing breakouts and snow removal, and I guess having the bucket 'bounce' in the air all the time would shock the cylinders and after a while, they start to creep. so, after we swaped out the cylinders , everything was fine. in my oponion, a ride control would make the W11 a nice little machine to run, expecially when roading it.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
The w11 loader spools are kind of unique for case. The spools themselves were hollow and the ends of the spools threaded in. The load checks were inside the spool. It was quite common for the o rings on the spools to go bad and cause this too. Do a cylinder leakdown test first. If the cylinders hold the problem is in the valve. If it is the valve most likely these O rings. This may also explain why the spool is sitting higher the end is unscrewed slightly.

Attachments

• spool.jpg
    spool.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 590

tightgtp

Occupation
lead service technician for the largest forklift c
so yesterday i was looking at the w11 and when i try to match the lift spool height to the tilt, before i can get it there the boom starts lifting. also i noticed that when you bring the boom off the ground to watch the drifting and i pull back on the lift lever very slow to try and stop the drifting the boom drops quickly for a second right before the spool is shifted enough to start lifting. i'm still leaning towards the valve, but what do you guys think.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
The lift spool in the diagram above is numbers 1-8. If it falls faster as you feather the spool it will likely be load checks. Check parts 4,6 and 8 and see if there is a groove worn into the seating surface, they are the load checks.You can replace them if they are worn, the only problem is if the seat is damaged it is part of the spool. The spools are not sold seperately you will have to replace the valve if the spools are damaged. Second check for broken or distorted springs 5 and 7.