1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case TCH fluid alternative??

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by chuckiecage, Mar 23, 2019.

1. chuckiecage

chuckiecage Member

Been trying to find a reasonably priced alternative for Case TCH fluid, traveler premium at Tractor Supply claims to meet TCH specs but cant find any data to back it up.
    In the PDF below that lists Case specs on fluid this now confuses me even more, Case recommends
    LOW TEMPERATURE HY-TRAN ULTRA (MS1209) as a TCH alternative (second fluid down on the page)
    but if you look at the specs for CASE TCH FLUID (MS1210) (fifth fluid down)
    it more matches the first fluid CASE IH HY-TRAN ULTRA (MS1209) specs (first on the page) but is not recommended either on this sheet or by the local dealer as a replacement and conveniently the low temp stuff is more $$$ too, can anyone with more smarts than me weigh in on this??
    also from my extensive research I seem to have found about a 50/50 success rate vs horror stories from people that switched to HY-TRAN ULTRA (MS1209) in TCH required machines

Attached Files:

2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

The traveler premium should be ok to use. It is a multi grade (10w30). I prefer a iso /aw 32.
    But don't even consider a 303 grade oil, ever.

Delmer likes this.
  3. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Mobil is running a rebate right now on their universal tractor hydraulic fluid, making it cheaper than tractor supply. If you can find it locally. WI has Fleet Farm, it may be in similar farm supply chains.

Nige, who should know if anybody would, says don't buy "bob's gas and groceries" brand, and Mobil is definitely not.

303 was an inadequate oil that was specified for the first generation of wet brakes and clutches, I'd only use it in farm tractors without wet brakes or clutches, nothing wrong with it for that application.

4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

"Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries" actually, but you got the idea. With a name like Tractor Supply it gives me the impression they built their business selling to farmers, and that in itself would be enough to put me off buying anything like oil from them. "Never mind the quality, feel the width....."

Mobil used to produce Cat-branded oils, I'm not sure if they still do

funwithfuel likes this.
  5. Numbfingers

Numbfingers Well-Known Member

mechanic
    Compare the specs of the TCH against Chevron THF 1000, or MobileDTE 424 and see if they're close.

funwithfuel likes this.
  6. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Mobil 424 meets Volvo specs for hydro and wet brake oil. Not "super" though, so you'd have to stick with regular maintenance vs extended drain. I kinda lean on 424 as my 'everything' fluid

Vetech63 likes this.
  7. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

That's good to know, Mobil 424 is the one that Fleet Farm and others have started carrying recently. Hopefully that will cut down on the use of 303 fluid... Kinda like Rotella T became much more widely available before that.