• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case Series 3 hydraulic couplers-very hard to connect

andersoncol_2

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I picked up a 2008 Case 420CT (series 3)and while hooking up to my attachments, i found the hydraulic couplers are extremely difficult to hook up. Obviously there is pressure on them from the machine and the possibly the attachment. I know that bobcats have a manifold with a pressure release. Is there a way to relieve the pressure on this one? I called the Case dealer and they said to pull the fuel pump fuse and work the hydraulics while holding the start button. I don't think this is the option for me. There should be a better way. I couldn't even find a fuse or relay that had fuel pump beside it. I don't really want to have to crack the lines loose and leak oil all over the place either. Anybody out there have a better procedure or a fix for the issue?

k45

On some machines:
1) turn off the key
2) turn the key back on but do NOT start the engine
3) cycle all the hydraulic controls (this relieves the pressure)
4) turn the key back off
5) now see if things connect easier

It works on Deere and I think Gehl. I don't know about other brands but it's easy to check out.

Ken

Komatsu 150

Doing what k45 said should work. If not, and your really going to hate this, get a giant phillips screwdriver or a smooth ended rod, put the end in the center of the coupler and give it a couple of whacks with a hammer. Be prepared for oil spray. Went through this with a 95XT last week.

lumberjack

You could make an electric manifold to dump the pressure to tank.

Does the aux hydraulics have its own pump or is it combined with another function?

mr hurt

Occupation
electrical engineer
yeah i have resorted to the 3/8" socket extenstion and hammer trick myself. works if working the hydraulics lever when off doesnt do the trick.

i place a rag over the socket to keep from getting sprayed.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The above instruction work well. Another piece of advice is to release the pressure in the lines before you disconnect. That usually works.

andersoncol_2

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I guess I forgot to mention that I have the hydraulic quick attach. It uses that circuit as well, so as you couple and uncouple the quick attach, it adds more pressure on the quick couplers. It has a keyless dash, and the machine needs to see the engine turning over for the hydraulics to function. The quick attach uses the control on top of the joystick which is the same as the auxillary, except you hold the unlock button on the panel while moving the aux switch. The machine has a case drain, but it and the auxillary lines are all seperate. I may have to adapt a bobcat style manifold. I have found that Stucchi makes a "Saturn Block" with a pressure relieving lever. Might be something to look into.

k45

Gosh, with all their sophistication of the keyless dash, it seems that they forgot a very important issue! :-(

andersoncol_2

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Gosh, with all their sophistication of the keyless dash, it seems that they forgot a very important issue! :-(
My thoughts exactly.
I decided to take a chance on the Stucchi Saturn Block. Ordered it through my local hydraulics shop for a decent price. I'll give it a shot and post up some pics when I get it installed. Should have it in a couple weeks.

fencefool

I was wondering if anyone has made an adapter to go from the FF series coupler on an 1840 Case to a FE series coupler on a 420ct-3. I am going to try to double up on some attachments like a 4 in 1 bucket and auger but it would be nice to be able to use some of the other attachments on both machines. I didn't know if it mattered that the flow rates are different between the two couplers and if you can even make an adapter. I was going to just couple a set of FF series and a set of FE with a 1/2" npt nipple that is rated for hydraulic capacity. I would like to change out the coupler on the 420 but the FF series style coupler has limited options as far as having a buckhead with a male flare to go on the machine.

Komatsu 150

The Bobcat dealer has them made up with a short piece of hose between. They send them out all the time when people rent attachments. I don't believe there is much of a problem as long as the attachment will work with the flow available from machine.

fencefool

Thanks for the info. It is probably better to have that short hose so you have some play between the couplers rather than having a 7-9 inch rigid double coupler that could potentially break. Found out that there is only a 3 gpm between the different style couplers so I don't think I should have a problem. I hardly ever run attachments a full throttle.