• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case pulling scraper

gwhammy

Does anyone use the four wheel steer case tractors pulling smaller pans? I've never been around them and was just wondering.

56wrench

Are you referring to the old 46-4890 or 94 series? I’m not sure but those tractors may have a few powershift or planetary issues with heavy scraper work. Also scraper work requires a fairly low 1st gear and i can’t recall if those tractors have one low enough. But, with a good operator in the right conditions it may work for a while until you find the ‘weak’ link in the drivetrain

gwhammy

I was just wondering, to late in my career to start another direction but they look like a neat tractor. I think the latest had 300 hp.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I believe that would have to be a 4894 if your referencing the CASE 4 wheel steer version. The weak point in those machines as 56wrench points out is the powershift tranny. While they don't 4 wheel steer, the Stieger versions built after the CASE-IH merger which would be the 9100 series machines would be a better option.

Shimmy1

9240 and 9260 actually were non-articulated crabsteer tractors. I highly doubt that Gw is looking at those however. The all-Case versions were 2470, 2670, and 2870. The 24 and 26 had the tried and true 504 set to 220 hp. The 2870 had a Scania inline 6 that wasn't terrible. Then came the 4490/94, 4690/94 with the 504 still, the 4890/94 still had the 6 cylinder Scania, but then they decided they needed bigger, so enter the 4994. V8 Scania that should have fallen off the boat before it reached the states.

JaredV

My brother in law has a 2470. He borrowed a Leon 6 yard (I think) from a neighbor and we did a bunch of grading around his place. It handled it great except the clutch was getting weak so you couldn't dig very hard. The bad thing about it was the tranny was a 4 range, 4 speed power shift which wasn't very handy for getting up to speed quick after loading.

56wrench

However, the 4994 had a Twin Disc full powershift if i remember correctly. From what i know, there were not that many of the 4994’s made