• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case Engine A-336-BD

Determined1

Does anyone know where I can get the service manual for Case A-336-BD engine? I have seen service manuals for the turbo version (A-336-BDT) but not for the naturally aspirated engine. I am doing an overhaul on this A-336-BD cubic inch engine and want to make sure I cover everything as well as use the correct torque specifications. This engine is out of a 1981 Case 850b crawler bulldozer.

In addition to the Case A-336-BD engine service manual, any help or advice with this overhaul is greatly appreciated.

Tinkerer

I have it in a .pdf document. I can email it to you but, you have to have three posts in the forums before your email address is accessible to the members. Do some looking in the tractor/loader/backhoe forum for 336 info. and its twin the 301 engine.

Determined1

Thanks Tinkerer!

Please send the PDF of the Case 336bd engine service manual to my email of determin3d1@yahoo dot com

I greatly appreciate your help!!!

Tinkerer

Your manual is on it's way. 132 pages will take a while to download. When you get the email create a folder on you desktop and save all the files to it. After doing that you will be able to scroll the pages.
In the email you can only view one page at a time. No scrolling.

Last edited:

Determined1

Thank you so much Tinkerer! I received it.

Any advice on main bearings being spun? Is there a way to fix them or get them to hold up for about 1,000 hours or so? I certainly don't want to spend the money on purchasing a new block. The ones I have seen are $3,000 plus. Unless someone knows where some used 336BD engine blocks are for cheaper than that.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!!!

Tinkerer

The only way to repair a spun main bearing in a machine that old is different block. If the crankshaft can be reground just get a used block. If it can't be you will have to get a used engine.
Here is link to a member who had the same problem. →https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?49103-case-850-B-engine-retrofit
I have never done it, but you could get a 301 block or used motor and rebuild it with the 336 sleeves and pistons.

Last edited:

Determined1

As far as doing an engine overhaul on this Case 336B engine, what should I replace in addition to what's provided in the complete engine overhaul kit? I will be having the crank remachined and the complete kit will include the front and rear main seals for that as well. I am also having the heads machined and reseated.

Do I replace the injectors, water pump, thermostat, wrist pin bushings, cam shaft, etc.??? What else should be replaced to help prevent any other issues?

Thanks

Tinkerer

I would wait on the injectors and see how it runs. You will get new piston pins along with the pistons. I would also have new valve guides installed in the heads, new valve springs , a new or re-manufactured camshaft, new camshaft bearings, new valve lifters. Any machine shop can make a camshaft bearing tool. If you have one made have the small side three times the width of the bearing. The reason is that you can scribe a line on it for a reference to the oil hole position in the bearing. It is quite aggravating to install a cam bearing and have the oil hole rotated and not have the block passage and bearing shell hole in perfect alignment.
When you remove the cam bearings pay particular attention to the order they come out. They are not all the same width and the oil holes have differences in them. I had installed a cam bearing in a 301 and only had 1/2 the oil hole when it was installed in the correct position. I simply welded an extension on a drill bit and opened it up. Needless to say a through cleaning of the block was done again.
Take lots of photos before removing parts, especially the connecting rods and main bearing caps.

sheepfoot

You can have that block line bored on a main bearing spun. I would replace the engine oil cooler, injection pump serviced, check the lower area for sleeve sealing o rings surfaces, check the top deck for sleeve height, (Note check sleeves for shims and number the sleeves if reusing) always check the deck height first with out the sleeve o rings installed when building it back. May need a rear wear sleeve and a front wear sleeve for the damper pulley. The reason for the oil cooler and injection pump, both have lube oil going threw them. Pump should be pulled down and cleaned and oil cooler trashed. This would also go for a turbo and a air compressor if used, replace or service them.

Tinkerer

Another thing is to pay particular attention to is the two thurst bearings on the crankshaft - their position and the front (face) of them. You will not get new ones in an overhaul kit and you will most likely not get the rear main bearing seal either. You shouldn't need a sleeve puller, just a brass or aluminum round bar and givem a couple of whacks with authority !

Randy88

Been there and done that and would never do it again, we finally repowered our C model with a 5.9 cummins and it was the best thing we did. I'd be concerned about the balancer assembly and why the main spun before tossing money at it. As for line boring it, around here that hasn't been all that successful, I know of three back to back that spun the main again on start up after putting all the money into them. We overhauled ours and within two years we were back into it and decided to kill the 336 project, take our loss's and jerk it out and install a 5.9 instead, identical to what was in the D model, ironically when we got done, I had less in it than the money spent on the 336. I had to do some fabricating and ended up without a muffler because I didn't want to cut a new hole in the hood, but with a straight pipe it sure sounds nice.

Tinkerer

can you email me a copy of that same manual mortonfire@hotmail.com thanks
Check your email inbox mortonfire.
It is a big and slow file to download because I didn't put it in a .zip file.
From my previous post -----> "Your manual is on it's way. 132 pages will take a while to download. When you get the email create a folder on your desktop and save all the files to it. After doing that you will be able to scroll the pages.
In the email you can only view one page at a time. No scrolling."

Last edited:

CFabien

Tinkerer, can you send me a copy of this manual for 336BD engine as well? Cfabien at gmail dot com
Thanks much!

Tinkerer

Tinkerer, can you send me a copy of this manual for 336BD engine as well? Cfabien at gmail dot com
Thanks much!
Welcome to HEF Cfabien !
Check your email. I changed the capitol "C" to a small c in the email address you posted.
I don't think capitol letters are allowed in email addresses. If you don't get it let me know.

Mike80

Hello Tinkerer
Can you please send me that 336bd engine manual copy?
Thank you very much in advance
summerpassenger @ gmail .com

Tinkerer

Mike,
Gmail says it does not recognize your email address.
Then I removed the spaces in the address you posted to summerpassenger@gmail .com and it still does not recognize the address and will not send it.