• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case dead have to move

Occupation
Scrap yard opperate
i have a 1993 170B that I can’t start and have to move can someone tell me How to disengage the final drive so i how to disengage the travel motors so that the machine can be pulled t can be pulled

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Pull the bolts from the sprockets.... is one way. as long as you don't need to pull it too far...put some oil on the hub if you're moving it more than 50 feet.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
IIRC, the 170B was a Poclain machine with solid sprockets on a taper spline shaft that was direct drive from a radial piston motor, cant remember if they had spring brakes or not. (been a while) Doubt this helps but might jog somebody's memory.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I think you might be right. not real sure from the looks of them... looks like allen head bolts on the sprockets.
case170-finals.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That's probably newer than what I was thinking. looks planetary to me. Had to move a dead 9030 once and just dumped all the planetary parts.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
No need to remove all the planetary parts, just the pinion shaft in the center that couples the motor to the planetary gears, then pop the cover back on to drag the machine.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
No need to remove all the planetary parts, just the pinion shaft in the center that couples the motor to the planetary gears, then pop the cover back on to drag the machine.
On the 9030, we were in a bit of a hurry to get out of the rising water. :eek: