1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Case CX60 return rollers stuck.

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by Karl Robbers, Jan 23, 2023 at 12:30 PM.

1. Karl Robbers

Karl Robbers Well-Known Member

G'day, I've been asked to help out a friend with a Case CX60C excavator (rubber track variant). This machine has about 130 hours on it and would be maybe 2 years old. He noticed that both top rollers have seized and one has the faintest flat spot, while the other has a little more, suggesting that they didn't both go out together. Replacement rollers are not overly expensive, but there are none in the system within Australia, meaning Case also want a hefty chunk of $$$ to freight them from Japan.
    The rollers are removed from the machine and on initial inspection look fine (other than the 2 minor flat spots), no visible rust, no sign of damage, all paint intact and no sign of heavy dirt build up, pretty much as you'd expect for a low hour machine that gets looked after. The machine has never been pressure washed, so I think we can discount high pressure water ingress as well.
    My question has four parts, firstly, has anyone else experienced the same issue with their machine? Second, how do you get into these things? I can see a circlip around the shaft on both sides that possibly retains 2 end plates that align the roller, but are these rollers serviceable? Third there is a plug on one side with a hex key hole in it. Is this for lubrication purposes? Finally, is he wasting his time trying to recover these rollers?
    Currently my thinking is along the lines that I will try and break the rollers free using physical force on the off chance that dirt or similar has packed in somewhere it shouldn't, but I'd like some idea of what I may find before I get too gung ho in disassembling things. An exploded diagram would be magic if anybody has one.
    Regards Karl.

2. Tags

Tags Senior Member

Yes there should be oil in there behind the hex plug. I would do exactly what you’re doing and see if you can get the shaft to turn with brute force.

3. Karl Robbers

Karl Robbers Well-Known Member

Thanks for that.
    I'll give it ago tomorrow.

4. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    That machine is actually a Hyundai out of Korea. Not sure if that information helps, but maybe you have access to a Hyundai dealership if you need it.

My guess with 130 hours on it and a couple years old it, you might be able to pull the track and put a pipe wrench on it and get it to turn. Its obviously not worn out, just likely stuck.

Karl Robbers and Tags like this.