• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case cx31b slow/weak track troubleshooting

gnewks91

My father has a 2008 case cx31b. One track side has very little power. It has been this way since he bought it last year(never let him buy something alone). Anyway, we had a local guy check it out. I believe he did a pressure check and everything was good and everything appeared fine visually. He also checked and adjusted track tension. The drive that we are having problems with appeared to be new or close to it. He took a job with the state and didn't have much time to work on his own, so he returned the machine to us at no charge. Everything else works great. Motor runs perfect, digs great, other track has plenty of power.

Anyway, now we're going to try to tackle this ourselves before sending it to the dealer($$$). I'm not familiar with this equipment so we're going to learn as we go. I'd like to start the troubleshooting over from scratch.

The fact that the final drive has been replaced leads me believe the problem is elsewhere. Is there any way to rule out the final drive as the issue?

Are there any filters in the drive system that could be clogged?

Is there any diagnostics or troubleshooting lists i could follow to find the root cause of the issue without just jumping around?

I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
First thing to look at is whether the two final drives are the same part number.
Could be different drive motors or gear ratio.

Sometimes people fit things because they look the same OR because of price.......

If they're different, well there's probably not much you can do apart from find another one the same as one of the ones you have.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day 91
Attached is a trouble shooting proceedure applicable to the vast majority of hydraulic excavators, some details may appear a little different however the process is universal. An important detail which may help identify the problem is that of a hydraulic schematic, if you have one that can help us help you some more.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• Weak crawlers P1.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 20

gnewks91

First thing to look at is whether the two final drives are the same part number.
Could be different drive motors or gear ratio.

Sometimes people fit things because they look the same OR because of price.......

If they're different, well there's probably not much you can do apart from find another one the same as one of the ones you have.

Interesting point, i hadnt considered that. I doubt its gear ratios, slower gearing would result in more torque and this side will barely move the machine on it own(it wont in high speed mode). Maybe a different motor though, i'll double check everything to be sure

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If it helps in research that machine is a Kobelco branded by CASE as is the New Holland version.