• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case CX 240 Hydraulic engine stall

Tom Ellington

Hello folks, I have a 2005 CX 240 that with any function kills the engine even at full throttle. Not a fuel issue as it has 14psi fuel pressure to stall. It’s like a load valve is stuck closed or something not letting the pump or pumps destroke. Has anyone delt with this before I start replacing parts? Thanks in advance.

Tom Ellington

14000psi? 14psi fuel pressure when engine stalls so it is not releasing hydraulic pressure some how. You can slowly load engine until hard stalls. Throttle response is instant from idle to max governed rpm.

NoonMech&Hyd

Fuel pressure from the injection pump to injectors should be several thousand PSI. The hydraulic pumps/valves have reliefs on them to prevent over pressure, and each valve section has a sectional relief for each tool function. It sounds like the engine isn't able to produce the HP to run the hydraulics in general ie.. fuel pressure/flow.

Tom Ellington

Fuel pressure from the injection pump to injectors should be several thousand PSI. The hydraulic pumps/valves have reliefs on them to prevent over pressure, and each valve section has a sectional relief for each tool function. It sounds like the engine isn't able to produce the HP to run the hydraulics in general ie.. fuel pressure/flow.
The information I was getting was the fuel gauge in the cab was the same it has always been when engine dies. I installed the gauge to keep tabs on the electric lift pump to keep the VP44 injection pump alive. I will know more today. Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Tom Ellington

So after pulling codes the only code shown is in screen 5 of diagnostics which of course M, M 0080 which is a pilot pressure switch. What is interesting is I can clear the code and it will not reset in the E screens 1-4 but immediately show back up in screen 5. And yes, the fuel pressure is good at 13-14 psi all the way to the injector pump. But you can feather any hydraulic function and it will operate but when you apply enough pressure and P1 or P2 hits 3600psi it will stall the engine. Engine starts and runs perfectly as it always has. Instantly goes to full throttle when H is selected without hesitation. It’s as if the ecm is defueling the VP44 pump when pressure climbs. Regular pressure is supposed to be 4350psi and the 8 second full stroke pressure is supposed to be 5400psi from what I am reading in the tech manual. I pulled the connector lead for that sensor for code 0080 and no new code showed. I even jumped the connector lead to test the switch and no change, still threw the same code.

NoonMech&Hyd

When P1 and P2 go to 3600PSI, is that with a function at the end of its stroke and pressuring out or while the implement is in movement? If you have Cummins Insite or access to it, you would be able to monitor the Injection side fuel pressure to see if it is falling off when it stalls. Also does it smoke when it stalls (what color smoke if it does) , and does it instantly die or lug like its trying to stay on and die?

Tom Ellington

It will stall out during any quick movement of a joystick prior to a cylinder bottoming out, and the pressure is 3600psi at stall. If you let off before stall engine recovers fairly quickly. Runs smoothly at wide open throttle in H range. Have no access to advanced diagnostics and dealerships refuse to diagnose, only replace parts such as injector pumps, a host of sensors, out of desperate compensation for their lack of diagnostic ability or aptitude to use the diagnostic tools provided to them. Already paid them $900 for a 3 hour service call where they told me to replace every sensor on the machine and if that didn’t fix it replace the injector pump. And they left the field with the machine exactly as it was when they arrived.

NoonMech&Hyd

Pilot pressure I believe is in reference to the hydraulic pilot oil pressure, The joysticks use pilot oil to control the valves for the cylinders. So that code shouldn't be causing the engine to stall and if the controls are working the sensor could have a bad plug or wire. Does it stall if you try to tram it as well? Also did the unit just start having this issue, or has it progressed to this?

Tom Ellington

Unsure what tram means, but travel both forward and back is the same as all other hydraulic loading operations. Machine worked fine all day. Next morning after the warm up cycle this happened. Changed both fuel filters but again no fuel pressure drop at filter just before injector pump all the way to stall.

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
Sounds to me more like a hydraulic problem than a fuel problem. Sounds like hydraulic pumps are going straight to max flow. Could be a pump solenoid/sensor in trouble.the code you have for pilot pressure switch do you know which pressure switch it is. If you have a pilot sensor reading faulty it could be sending the pumps to full stroke which will pull down the engine

Last edited:

Tom Ellington

That’s what I have been thinking from the beginning. But have no idea how to find that problem. The factory Case manual is useless for troubleshooting.

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
Where is the sensor you disconnected located maybe post a picture of it and someone might be able to point you in the right direction. Any other sensor on the machine the same that you could swap it with to see if fault changes

Tom Ellington

It is located it the pilot control bank behind the cab. What is interesting is disconnecting it did not throw a new code and did not change the operation of the machine.

Attachments

• 88D7EAEF-1302-40E3-A9F9-4E4742C91399.jpeg
    88D7EAEF-1302-40E3-A9F9-4E4742C91399.jpeg
    961.9 KB · Views: 19

Kobelco ireland

Occupation
Mechanic
Screenshot_20220306_072101.jpg
It's a low pressure sensor for your pilot controls. Can you swap it with another one and see if the fault code changes.

NoonMech&Hyd

The best way to sort out if it is engine or hydraulics I would suggest is going to be with a flow meter, loading valve, and pressure gauges. Tie in on the hoses off the valve bank for one of the large cylinder functions. Then you can see what the pump is doing, and load it down incrementally with the loading valve to see if the pump controls and reliefs in the valve are working properly and how the engine responds to the load.

LACHAU

So after pulling codes the only code shown is in screen 5 of diagnostics which of course M, M 0080 which is a pilot pressure switch. What is interesting is I can clear the code and it will not reset in the E screens 1-4 but immediately show back up in screen 5. And yes, the fuel pressure is good at 13-14 psi all the way to the injector pump. But you can feather any hydraulic function and it will operate but when you apply enough pressure and P1 or P2 hits 3600psi it will stall the engine. Engine starts and runs perfectly as it always has. Instantly goes to full throttle when H is selected without hesitation. It’s as if the ecm is defueling the VP44 pump when pressure climbs. Regular pressure is supposed to be 4350psi and the 8 second full stroke pressure is supposed to be 5400psi from what I am reading in the tech manual. I pulled the connector lead for that sensor for code 0080 and no new code showed. I even jumped the connector lead to test the switch and no change, still threw the same code.
ScreenShot_20220307224830.png

Tom Ellington

Thanks for your reply. I think I know where this pressure switch is located, but in testing by unplugging the device, no new codes were thrown and nothing changed with the problem. Does anyone know if this code will derate the engine and why it instantly goes to the 5th screen in diagnostics which is history instead of the first screen which is for active codes.