• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE CK 580 - Motor replacement options?

gabtrac

Hi,
My neighbour has an old (don't know the year) CK 580 that has a blown motor (can't be repaired).
I've been looking everywhere for a replacement but can't find one.
Is there an easier to find alternate motor I can put in it?
If I can find a motor "I can have the rig"! That would be nice...
Thanks.

gabtrac

It's completely cracked through the casting. It was also left exposed to weather for too long afterwards...

sheepfoot

Well if you wanted the backhoe real bad and not going to use it a lot, might try and find one with a gas 159 engine and convert it. It would still do the work and you would have a backhoe all the same then trade up later. Just thinking!

mikebramel

around here running CK tractors go for $1000 no backhoe to 3500 with a backhoe so you may want to rethink about doing work

KevinF

Occupation
Engineer
I have a 1975 580b and when I was trying to figure out what to do with it I found most running Case backhoes in Canada were put on Kijiji for $10k, parts for $7k. Found quite a few examples of working 580b for $13k. I'm not saying that they can't be found cheaper, but that was my what Kijijiers seemed to think them worth.

Mudpile

Occupation
retired salesman
One could try a Case 430 or 530 G188d farm tractor engine in it. Although not quite as good as the CK engine it would be OK. Still the same weakness in the block with cracks between the liners though. On the plus side they usually use the larger injectors, but have no tach drive, use a lighter rod, and a smaller diameter liner flange. Blocks can be machined for the better larger liner, using the later head gasket.

Last edited:

rasman57

In our area of Northern Illinois, a running CASE 580 Construction King TLB in working condition will fetch $5-8 thousand depending on 159 gas vs 188 Diesel. Parts for the late 60's to early 70's vintage (pre-B) are hard to find but the hobby farmers and woodlot owners want the old hard worked open backhoes. FWIW. Good luck in your search.