• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 9030B Problem

jerry109999

You guys have been very helpful in the past so I thought that I might get a little more from you if your in the mood for giving.

Fuel and Power Problems:

Specs: 1996 Case 9030B Excavator, One inline filter at the outside the tank just past the water separator, appears that the fuel line goes to the fuel pump and then to a manual primer pump then to fuel filter and then to the engine.

Issues: Bought the machine and it had old diesel in the tank about 1 year ago with alot of issues from scales and crap that has come off the sides of the tank even surface rust and gunk. I think from sitting up. Machine started shutting down often and and would not restart until I replaced the inline filter at the tank I am sure this was due to fuel restrictions because the filters were shot and full of gunk. Have since replace inline filters 7-9 times, drained tank and flushed but did not remove tank. I have cleaned water separator and recently changed main fuel filter.

Now the problem: Up until recently the machine would start on the first bump of key but now it takes about 2-3 seconds of cranking to fire. I receive a Electrical Problem alarm on the instrument display and the machine will not move off of idle and it also says auto warm up. If I let the machine sit for 7-10 minutes I will get the oil pressure and gauges into the green and auto warm up display will disappear but it still says Electrical Problem, if I shut the machine down and let the computer reset and start again the fault may or may not go away I may have to do this 3-4 times to get the fault off. The machine will run but does not seem to have full power and the longer I run the machine the more power I loose and have to get out of the controls or run the risk of the machine bogging down and finally shutting off (about 20 minutes of running will get the problem to surface). When the machine shuts off (I get the Low Oil Pressure fault) I have to get up on top and bled the injectors to get it started, the manual primer lever will go down but does not bounce back like it should, the machine seems to be vapor locking on me and after I bleed the lines machine will shut off again after awhile and I will do the process over again.

Question: What the heck do I do, I have basic knowledge of mechanics but only to the point of getting myself into more trouble usually. Does this seem to you to be still a fuel issue or could it be in the other filters of the Hydraulic system? If it is in the fuel system could it be the fuel pump, just noticed that the pump makes a knocking sound when I turn the key and combined with the electrical fault display could the be the culprit? If it is the fuel pump is there a way to clean it before buying another? Can the fuel lines fill up with junk and keep fuel from getting to where it needs to go, and can I blow the lines or am I wasting time with that theory?

Any advise other than burn the machine in place will be helpful.

Thanks,

jerry

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The water separator I remember had a glass bowl on it and a round gasket above that sometime fell out. It would give some of the problems you are talking about.

Your fuel tank issues should have cleared up by now so I have to wonder where you are getting your fuel from. I've seen these problems many times with people filling 55 gallon drums at the station and hand pumping or pouring fuel into the tank.

Blowing the lines out with air pressure is usually what I do if I think there is something in the tank. Do you drain the junk off the bottom of the tank every once in a while. There is a valve for stripping settlement off the bottom of the tank.

jerry109999

John,

Thanks for the reply. The water separator appears to be made of plastic and had about 1/2" of junk in it when I cleaned last time it also had a plastic o-ring or gasket that is loose in the bowl (almost the same size ring as the bowl itself or maybe a little smaller). I did not mess with it due to the fact that I did not have another and have not since thought about it. The water separator is not leaking so at the time I did not think that was an issue, but you say that it may be, correct? Will this give me the electrical fault also? The gasket or o-ring does not appear to be interrupting the fuel flow if that helps at all.

Fuel is delivered to the ranch by wholesaler and we run in other machines with NO issues to fuel.

I have not drained fuel from bottom of tank in about 4 months but I am only on the second tank of fuel since then.

Thanks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The plastic ring in the separator is supposed to float on any water that gets in there. The problem with the gasket is that it can fall out and the bowl will not seat in the bracket properly causing a suction leak and the fuel pump pulls in a little air and then would not suck any more fuel. The bowl will still be full but you won't get enough fuel to run the engine properly.

The electrical problem should have produced a fault code on the monitor panel. I don't remember how to pull fault codes out of the Sumitomo machines but maybe someone here will know. I have run into alternator problems on the older A model machines but those alternators were also the speed sensor for the computer. The B models used a regular speed sensor on the flywheel.

At any rate strip some crud off the bottom of the fuel tank, make sure there is a gasket in the water separator and then check the charge status of your batteries and see if the alternator is charging when the engine is running. We can go from there.

Good Luck!

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Just a quick reply for now, I would by-pass the seperator to see if it is drawing in air (bad gasket) Also i have had problems with primer pumps if the machine has been sitting for abit, valves i primer going bad etc!

just my thoughts hope it helps!

CPS

jerry109999

Update

UPDATE:
Got to the ranch this weekend and found the Throttle Cable was crusted and in bad shape which caused the throttle motor to shut down, to much friction, disconnected the throttle cable and electrical fault went away, checked this several times and each time it worked so that problem is corrected once I put the new cable on. I also blew the fuel lines with compressed air from the lift pump forward to the filter and reverse to the tank, also opened drain valve at the bottom of fuel tank and found some crap in there so drained that off. I then removed the water separator and checked the o-ring in there, no damage, and replaced separator and made sure was tight.

Hopefully this will correct the issues and much thanks to you guys that helped.

Jerry

jerry109999

Update

UPDATE:
Got to the ranch this weekend and found the Throttle Cable was crusted and in bad shape which caused the throttle motor to shut down, to much friction, disconnected the throttle cable and electrical fault went away, checked this several times and each time it worked so that problem is corrected once I put the new cable on. I also blew the fuel lines with compressed air from the lift pump forward to the filter and reverse to the tank, also opened drain valve at the bottom of fuel tank and found some crap in there so drained that off. I then removed the water separator and checked the o-ring in there, no damage, and replaced separator and made sure was tight.

Hopefully this will correct the issues and much thanks to you guys that helped.

Jerry

Casetractorman

Occupation
Manager .. Monroe Tractor and Implement Co. Inc.
Had the same problem this past week .. replaced the lift pump .. replaced the inline filter .. no go .. had to keep bleeding the injectors to get her to run .. pulled the brass elbow off of the sediment bowl and low and behold I find the fitting is plugged with leaves .. unplug it .. bleed the air and its got more power than its had in months .. good luck .. I know your frustration

Last edited:

easylivin

i an having the same problem with my computer giving me the electrical problem and will not idle up it would work in manual mode but now stop even that

jerry109999

NCSU, I finally found my problem and it was the SECOND fuel filter cartridge. I didn't know that Cummings have duel filters, one basically behind the other on the back of the engine. Until I felt behind the filter I didn't know it was there. The other issue I had was the machine would lock me out at random times this was the relay behind the computer behind the seat access panel