• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 850 transmisson issue

lowell pauli

hi, i have a case 850 b bucket loader. it has a problem turning. turns left, but wont turn right. made a sharp crack just before it quit working. is it in the final drive or in the transmission that i should start my teardown any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @lowell pauli
There are quite a few different things that can happen to cause your steering issue.
A "sharp crack" before a drive problem is never a good scenario.....

Can you confirm if there is any drive at all happening on the LH track?
Does the transmission pressure gauge still work?
Is it reading the same pressure with each gear selection?

Without lots of information we can't really assist you.

lowell pauli

The oil pressure was good but I've already drain the hydraulic fluid and opened up the right hand side of final drive. Just haven't had time to get the heavy SOB off. Should I get ready to break the left-hand track so I can pull the whole final drive out. Or does the pinion gear on top usually break before anything else.thanks

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
When you say you drained the hydraulic fluid - you drained the main transmission housing?
Was anything in the oil? Metal pieces??
Have you drained/removed the sump/pan for the RH final drive?
And, you found something there to make you think it has to come off to be repaired?
Is the axle/output shaft broken? You found broken teeth?
??????

Last edited:

lowell pauli

no I didn't find any broken teeth in the on that side but it looked like it needed to come off so it'll be easier to get the transmission out. I don't have a forklift to remove the transmission or a track breaker for the other side. It looks like someone else has had a problem with it. Because the track pin on the right side was turned down so you could remove it with a big hammer

davecampbell

It looks like someone else has had a problem with it. Because the track pin on the right side was turned down so you could remove it with a big hammer
My case tracks were removable with a big hammer without anything being turned down. Now it did have to be a BIG hammer. A 12 lb would do it.

Bill Edwards

It's possible that they had such a hard time getting the pin out in the first place that they didn't want to suffer trying to get the thing back in, and having to repeat the whole process if they ever wanted it out again in the future.

I took some pins out of knackered tracks once which took a lot of heat, a very heavy hammer and a lot of effort. As the tracks were knackered I had no hesitation in making the pin smaller to aid assembly and any future work.