• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 780 backhoe HELP PLEASE (:

Dan68

That is a bonus, the seller was sure to point that out. Probably never use them but like I said they are there if you do.

squad_1881

Occupation
Architect
That is a great looking backhoe, probably one of the largest one can get : ). Have you tried to look up the operators and service manuals from the web as those can be quite useful to go through.

Dan68

Thank you squad, I have looked when I was looking for stuff for a 580. I don't remember even seeing any for the 780 but would be pretty handy probably almost a must. Hopefully not a hard to come by item.

Dan68

Not finding any manuals for this machine. Everything on eBay is either 580 or 780 tractor which may be close enough for the workings. All the hydraulic cylinders seem to be in good shape except for the outriggers. What should a guy do with the ones that have dings or scratches through the chrome plating, maybe a die grinder with a super fine sanding disk to take just the high spots to lessen damage to the seals?

squad_1881

Occupation
Architect
yeah i had a quick look as well what is there for your backhoe and it is a rare beast for sure, not much info available, though did find the pdf file for the parts but the really good one to have is the service manual.

http://files.minnpar.com/partbooks/...UALS/CASE 780 LOADER BACKHOE (COMPRESSED).pdf

i have two quite badly pitted rods as well, the front bucket ones and buffing them kind of works but postpones the inevitable, bought the spare kit of seals already and here in australia changing the rods instead of replating is the common practice.

Dan68

Figured as much. Thank you for the PDF! That will come in handy. Not getting much time to tinker. Today I noticed that it will not make air over 45psi. Only takes about 2 minutes to make 30 but then takes roughly 5 minutes to reach 45. Holds air without running great. Left it for 3 hours and it maintained pressure.

Dan68

So last weekend I put about 12 hours on this thing making a road on the property. A good part of it rock (fractured shale). Super impressed with the ability, anything else would have taken considerably longer. Going to change the oil but decided to go through everything and grease what i could find zerks on. Strange that every pivot didn't have one. Removed one pin and drilled it length wise for a zerk which was easier than I thought but when I tried to drill it on the outside, nothing doing. Obviously hardened. What would a guy do here? Also had a couple that would not take grease. Removed the zerks and they were not plugged. Any thoughts? Figuring on removing the pins, cleaning the holes and checking for a blockage unless someone has an easier trick. Couldn't find one majorly important one on the main lower pin for the hoe mast. Attached is a picture, I'm thinking it's behind the plate that's bolted there? Thanks!
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20180425_172939592.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 14