• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 75xt hydraulic motor repair

vpd66

My small leak on my 75xt has become alot larger. It is leaking from the left front wheel axle. When I take the chaincase oil level plug out I get alot of fluid coming out. So it is pretty obivous that the hydraulic motor is leaking into the chaincase and the extra fliud has to come out somewhere, from the axle seal. This also explains why I can't keep the hydrualic fluid up in the sight glass. How bad of a job is it to pull the hydraulic motor? from inside the chassis it doesn't look to bad, but I don't know what to expect from inside the chaincase end. I don't have a service manual so I don't know whats involved. Anything to watch out for? If I decide to do it myself I'll order a manual.
Thanks, Vince

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
Never worked on a 75XT but have an 85XT. When you pull the outer cover you will see a bolt that holds the sprocket onto the drive motor. Remove that bolt and you will be able to pull the motor from the inside. You also need to lift that side of the machine and loosen the drive hubs so you will have some slack in the chains. JJ

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
Sorry I should have written it out better. I looked up the breakdown of the machine and it is like the 85. Loosen the bolts that hold the drive hubs to the chassis. This will allow the drive chains to have slack in them.Between the two tires on the outside of the machine you will see a plate. Remove this plate. Underneath you will see the sprocket that both the front and rear drive chains are driven by. There will be a large bolt in the center. Remove that. This will allow the drive motor to be removed from the inside of the machine after you remove the hydraulic hoses and the 4 bolts that hold the motor assembly to the inside of the chain case. IMPORTANT... Keep the hoses clean. You need to get the proper plugs and caps to keep the insides of the hoses clean. You do not want to contaminate the system with dirt and debris. Let me know if this helps at all.JJ

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
Hardline gave you the instructions as I remember them.......... I also remember is being somewhat cramped to get the drive motor out once unbolted.

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
IIRC it depends on which side motor needs to come out. I think they are staggered and the one I pulled was in front of the other. Its hard to remember when you are an independent and work on every brand skid steer made. Sometimes start getting them mixed together. JJ

vpd66

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't had much time to work on this because I'm working 12 hour days. I did drain the chain case and got 18 gallons of oil out of it! Yes, 18 gallons! I have the side cover removed and now I see that the park pin is hydraulic operated. So my leak is either coming from the park pin actuator or the hydraulic motor. The machine operated perfect before I started taking in apart so I'm starting to think the park cylinder might be the cause. The only problem I had was that the machine was go into park after I used it for a while and I figured it was from the hydraulic fluid being low. Like I said, been busy with work and have only had a few hours a day to work on it and Monday I leave for a week on christmas vacation. Hopefully this weekend I'll get some time to take the drive chains off and pull the sprocket off the hydraulic motor, then start the machine and look for the leak. I want to see the motor or park cylinder leaking before I remove either. Someone also has been in there before because the chain cover and where the park cylinder mounts to the chassis has blue silicone on it. Hardline, Thanks for the heads up on keeping the hydraulic fittings clean. I'm very awear that you don't want to get dirt in to the hydraulic system. The simplist way I can see to get the hydraulic motor out is to remove the floor boards and the vertical cover just under the front of the seat. I took this cover off and the motors are right there. Once again, thanks guys and I'll keep you posted.
Vince

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
Glad it is a little more clear for you now. And yeah the clean line thing was a hard lesson for one of my customers as they sometimes watch me work on thier machine. Had a customer that had seen me replace lines before and he thought how hard could it be right. Well he had a hose made and then proceeded to push the open end of the hose through all the goop and trash that was in the belly of the machine. He later called me after the motors and pumps were thrashed from having all the dirt and debris pushed through them over and over. It was an expensive lesson that I luckily did not have to pay to learn. I got to learn that one at someone elses expense. JJ

vpd66

Well today got a chance to work on it. I started the machine up and within 15 seconds there was a steady stream of oil leaking out of the hydraulic motor into the chaincase. I loosened the drive axles to slack the chains, but its not enough slack to get the chain off the sprockets. Are there master links on the chains? I can't see any. Also, does it pay to take this hydraulic drive motor to a Hydraulic shop to see if they can repair it? We only have one shop that does this type of work and they are very hard to deal with. I'd hate to take the motor to them and wait 2 weeks for them to tell me its junk and charge me for looking at it. I priced a new one from Case online at $2000.00. Any other options?
Vince

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
vpd66,
You can leave the chains on the sprocket - just loosen the drive motor & remove it - leaving the sprocket hanging on the chains.
You could take the motor to a shop, but if they wish to warrant their work , they wont want to do a repair. Don't know what your capable of as far as repairs go, here is some reading for you, it is a 40XT thread but the drive motors are similar - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...b-with-lots-of-Questions/page2&highlight=40xt
There is a problem with bearing pre-load on the output shaft - seals alone will not fix your problem :drinkup

vpd66

Thats alrman, I thought about leaving the chains on the sprockets and pulling the motor. Putting it back together would be a 2 man operation, one to put the motor in and the other to line up the sprocket. When I get the motor out I will pull the snap ring, bearings, and bearing spacer and see if I can repair it by making a new spacer and installing a new seal. Like you said in the other post if my repair fails it just leaks again and it won't harm any other hydraulic parts.
Thank you, Vince