• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 680E looking at buying one ?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Good luck with your purchase. Anxious to follow your progress.

bigrich954rr

Lol to late I own it now slowly greaseing it up and changing the fuilds . Might have to change a few seals it leaks every but engine and rear end oil

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Congrats!!!! Post some pics when you get a chance. :)

I've been working on my new old hoe for over a month. Because of weather I've had plenty of shop time. So far it's been pretty cheap to fix. We'll see when the weather clears. It's always a gamble.

bigrich954rr

Yea it’s always a gamble that is for sure after I got it home I was stressing cause I thought I would have to dump a bunch of money into it to get it going.

But after moving it around to grease it and fix’s the air leaks. I should be getting my 24/24 brake cans tomorrow. I think I’ll be able to use it. As long as I keep checking all the fuilds some of seals leak while sitting but stop with a load on them. The Stabilizer cylinders make huge puddles on the ground while sitting in the upright position but the Backhoe been held up by them for 48 hours and not a drop has come out.

Yea I’ll have to figure out how to post pics need to get a new hosting account.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I came very close to owning a 580E. They are a very different machine from the 580K. They are, I believe European made, Italian, I think.
The 580K is a machine with lots of ductile iron parts that can't be welded. I believe the E had fewer ductile parts. I believe they use the ultra common Cummins 3900 CC four cylinder. The one in my 580K Case claims is built by Case, but is identical to the Cummins in my Dresser bulldozer. I've had torque converter problems (slipping when hot) in two 580K tractors. I have two friends who one at a time have owned the same 580E since new. They've done recommended maintenance, but had no problems.
I think some E series have detachable backhoes, study the mounting hardware carefully.`

bigrich954rr

I ordered 24/24 brake cans and they fit and fixed the brakes issues .

Now just trying to find a blue print or spec sheet so I can get sizes for the bushing and pins and other parts to see if I can Interchange with other parts to replace worn out ones

Tinkerer

Everything you need fro bushing and pins is in the Case online parts book. Here is a screen shot of one of the many pages for your 680E. Notice I checked a box next to a bushing. Now look at the top of the page and you will see the dimensions of it.
Do a google search and you see that bushing was used in many different Case machines and are available . Ebay is a good place to buy pins and bushings. here is link to the page.
https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...=EN&currency=#epc::mr59183ar974455bi3084540-3
680e.png

Tinkerer

For anyone who isn't aware, that picture I posted can be instantly enlarged. Put your mouse curser on the image and left click once with your computer mouse. Those dimensions at the top of the image are very easy to read then.

bigrich954rr

Thank you that helps a lot . I just pressure washed the backhoe last night will be starting to work on it some more this weekend

bigrich954rr

ive tracked down the parts and just cleaned out the hydraulic tank and installed a new filter which is in the tank very annoying design. side note if you ever drain the hyd tank on these backhoe it will dump oil and make a mess.

i put in a 3/4 90 elbow and 2 inch of 3/4 pipe and a 3/4 valve that the stock threaded plug will fit in the end to seal it. its just flush to the inside of the engine compartment so if i ever do a flush it should be super easy .

also change oil and fuel filters new diesel and oil in the backhoe.

rebuilding a few hyd cylinders now.

squad_1881

Occupation
Architect
Did the same thing recently by cleaning the tank and replaced the filter, also changed the rubber seal of the tank access lid, some connecting hoses and checked the magnet sitting in the bottom to make sure there was not too many metal particles attached. Apparently there are two plugs on the lower side of the backhoe engine compartment as well to flush the system if necessary.

bigrich954rr

Yea I wish I changed the seal before I put it back together. I put RTV on the cover pushed the seal in and let it dry for a hour and two then reinstalled it.