• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 680CK 301B block heater and glow plug

96_Bear

Anyone have any luck getting a replacement heater for their machine? I have found a few that might work. First is an ER-A182017, Second is from Kats KAT 30603. Any suggestions or other places to look. Also any one have any luck with the air heater(glow plug) for a replacement would be great to! Elms heater.jpgNapa heater.jpg

Tinkerer

Did you ever use the air heater ? I ask because I dismantled mine. A sniff of ether is 100 times more effective than the air heater.
Did you check all the components in the air heater assembly for what is malfunctioning ? I ask this because there are several things that could fail and prevent the heating element from getting hot. I would think the solenoid would have failed before the element.
The heater from NAPA should be an acceptable replacement.

96_Bear

Did you check all the components in the air heater assembly for what is malfunctioning ? I ask this because there are several things that could fail and prevent the heating element from getting hot. I would think the solenoid would have failed before the element.
The heater from NAPA should be an acceptable replacement.

Tinkerer, I never have gotten the plug to work yet. Am replacing components that are "iffy" as I find them. I will have to check on the manifold flange size Lantraxco. I am going to drain the coolant tomorrow and replace the malfunctioning thermostat and the block heater while I have it drained. I think the cap on the radiator is weak (since it decided to spew antifreeze once it reached 202 degree's today)and figure I might as well tackle all of it I can while the weather is nice. My pole barn isn't high enough to get the hoe in at the home place and the larger barn on my property isn't finished yet. Another wonderful note found the single wire alternator has failed and will replace it while I am at Napa getting the other parts! Gotta love these old machines though!!

96_Bear

Have you unscrewed the heater and applied 12 volts to it so you can see if it is any good ?
Still trying to get it out of the manifold without breaking anything. Doesn't appear to work when I did jumper it from the starter lug to heater.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
I have seen the resistance coil break loose at the end and show open on a VOM. I have successfully welded them and returned them to service. The screw in block heater is easy to check for resistance or remove and submerge in water and plug in briefly. Those systems are not rocket science and very good, I have a 830 Case ag tractor with the 301 diesel which will start down into the 20's with no starting aid other than the air heater. Large capacity batteries, 1000 amps X2, large truck cables grounded right at the starter and a starter verified to be in perfect condition and those engines start. I read how everyone has trouble getting them going and that just has not been my experience if properly maintained.

96_Bear

I have seen the resistance coil break loose at the end and show open on a VOM. I have successfully welded them and returned them to service. The screw in block heater is easy to check for resistance or remove and submerge in water and plug in briefly. Those systems are not rocket science and very good, I have a 830 Case ag tractor with the 301 diesel which will start down into the 20's with no starting aid other than the air heater. Large capacity batteries, 1000 amps X2, large truck cables grounded right at the starter and a starter verified to be in perfect condition and those engines start. I read how everyone has trouble getting them going and that just has not been my experience if properly maintained.

Mine is leaking at the plug and heater. Made quite the fireworks show when I plugged it in. Before the rebuild it always started with the block heater plugged in. Just trying to fix up all the little things I have put off for too long.

96_Bear

Got the hoe up and running! I am starting to compile all the after market/Napa numbers that I can get crossed over or parts matched. Does any one know where or what part number the rubber boots that goes over the plunger on the treadle pedals are? I have found numbers but, Napa cant get anything to cross over. Am going to try a local Truck Pro and see if they can get them. Next on list is the what must be "gold plated" A24523 gear for the tach drive. Found one used for $131 new is $250+.