• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 650 k stranded!!!!

precision dirt

Occupation
machinist, fabricator and owner of precision dirt
Hey guys it's been awhile but needing some help. My case 650 k all the sudden won't move and is stranded in the middle of nowhere. Starts up with no fault codes when put in forward of reverse it flashes F or R just like it does when park brakes are set. Have checked brake prox switches, shift solenoids, fuses and connectors and even behind dash and have found nothing. The one thing that I noticed is park brakelight on dash will not come on when p brake is applied. It seems like it thinks park brake is on I'm just not sure where to look next. Any ideas?

Shimmy1

I know nothing about that particular machine, but one thing to try would be remove battery cables for an hour or so and see if a soft code might be causing it? A hard code won't reset, but might get it moving so you can get it somewhere more convenient? Just a thought.

precision dirt

Occupation
It has a battery disconnect that was cut off over night so let's hope that's it. Just crawled off the 977L gonna go see what I find this morning.....thanks shimmy

precision dirt

Occupation
sorry havent been on since, i went out sunday morning and same problem, i have recently replaced a couple relays thinking that was my problem, tested them and all worked. I have no broke or chewed wires behind dash or anywhere else that i can find and have checked grounds. I kept checking everything and decided to start it up and try again, all the sudden it moves. I still do not have a parking brake light on dash when p brake is engaged.
I ran for 4 hours on sunday shutting it down twice and it always started up and moved fine after i got it moving, so im really not sure what i did but I'll be on it later this week, see if it acts up again.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You have a bad connection somewhere in that maze mess of wire and solenoids. Has to be to sudden quit then as sudden after disturbing said stuff started working.

precision dirt

Occupation
Thanks DMiller, thats kinda my thoughts too. Finding things like this especially when intermittent can be a real pain.

Hobbytime

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Interesting stuff Hobbytime, but doesn't ship north of the boarder. :(
Would probably work well on the fuse /relay panels of the case dozers, as they are so prone to corrosion.

precision dirt

Occupation
Thanks for the input guys. Lately it hasn't been giving me any issues but its also July in Texas..... dry....

Jdtech99

I have a case 650k series 2. Iv been dealing with trans faults and no can issues and finally got all that resolved. Now I cannot get park brake to release. Checked all fuses and relays. I'm not recieving voltage at the park brake solenoid. The park brake light stays illuminated with the levers up or down. Levers are working as should. Really getting frustrated with this machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Check the other end of the circuit to see if sending the voltage to the solenoid, if is then you have a break somewhere. Being the lamp is on would think it has power available.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Invest in a wiring schematic or service manual. There should be several safeties involved, Seat contactor for occupancy, seat belt? Controls in N, parking brake could be cut off by another safety switch.

BigWrench55

On your relay assuming you have a standard 5 pole relay. 30 is battery power, 87 is the load(solenoid) 86 is the signal from the park brake switch, 85 is ground. 87a I wouldn't worry about it usually isn't used. Remove your relay and make a jumper wire from 30 to 87. If 30 has power then your park brake will release. if 30 has power and your park brake doesn't release. Then the wire from 87 to the solenoid has a brake somewhere. In the case that jumping 30 and 87 releases the brake. Next would be to see if you are getting power to 86 when you activate the switch. If no power then test your switch and trace that wire. Also the 30 pole has a fuse. So check your fuses. Good luck and I hope that helps you.

Jdtech99

I have purchased a manual off line. The manual isn't the best in the world. I am now getting fault code of 4621. Park brake still will not release. At the bark brake relay I have switched battery voltage, known good ground. I am not receiving signal out of dtc to complete the circuit. I have ohm signal wire coming from dtc. Wire checked good. My question is what all other inputs does the dtc need to see to allow brake to be released. On this particular machine there is no seat switch or seat belt switch. Im really starting to get discouraged on this rig any help would be greatly appreciated.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I have purchased a manual off line. The manual isn't the best in the world. I am now getting fault code of 4621. Park brake still will not release. At the bark brake relay I have switched battery voltage, known good ground. I am not receiving signal out of dtc to complete the circuit. I have ohm signal wire coming from dtc. Wire checked good. My question is what all other inputs does the dtc need to see to allow brake to be released. On this particular machine there is no seat switch or seat belt switch. Im really starting to get discouraged on this rig any help would be greatly appreciated.
The 4621 code is no can communication with inst. cluster. If you do a search for 850K won't move forward or reverse there will be a lengthy post that will walk you through troubleshooting your problem.

Jdtech99

That's odd because I have no issues with instrument cluster. All gauges work and read properly. Track speed gauge works when I hit buttons on joystick. I can read software version of instrument cluster within the cluster. Would that code allow the dtc to not release park brake or move?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
That's odd because I have no issues with instrument cluster. All gauges work and read properly. Track speed gauge works when I hit buttons on joystick. I can read software version of instrument cluster within the cluster. Would that code allow the dtc to not release park brake or move?
I'm just sayin what the code is