• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 590t dipper cylinder

chrisdvorak

I have to pack a 94 case 590t dipper cylinder tomorrow and wanted to know if anyone can tell me what size the piston bolt head is? the exploded view in parts shows it's 1 1/2 thick, so would that be 2 1/4 head? Just trying to make sure I have the right socket before I get into it. Ps I think it's the same for the boom cyl as well

- thanks

franklin2

Be prepared for a struggle, those things are tight. I have done 3 so far on my 480c. What I have to do is squeeze the rod end in my vise on my bench, and support the far end with a trasmission jack I have. I then had to go to harbor freight and buy a 3/4 socket set, and I still have to use a 6ft cheater bar on the 3/4 breaker bar to break them loose.

On the swing cylinder they have a hole drilled in the bolt with a pin sticking out, it looks like some sort of hydraulic cushion. Whatever it is, it ruins the ability to use a socket and I do not have a wrench big enough to fit. So I have to use my big pipe wrench on that one. I still have to use the 6ft breaker bar to get it loose.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
@Tinkerer The 'T' does actually exist in Europe & Australia.... These are the sideshift version of the US 'N' model ..... just to add to the worldwide confusion.:confused:

@chrisdvorak I can't recall the exact size - my money is on 2 1/4" also. (99%)

rickw

To secure the rod, I have disassembled the cylinder then put the rod back in the machine and slid the pin in. Put a block of wood under the rod to hold it up the put socket on nut. That seems to be the best way to secure the rod to be able to put enough torque on it w/ a long bar. I dont have a impact near big enough to do it on the ground

chrisdvorak

got it apart but it was one of the tightest cylinders ive had to breakdown in awhile. I heated up the bolt then tried the 1'' bar on it with a cheater-- no go
heated again and this time used a 680k for the power --- bent the 1'' bar and still no go
take 3- heat, put a 4' pipe wrench on the socket and with the entire weight of the boom on the pipe wrench it finally came loose
didn't help that it started pouring half way through this endeavor!
seems like a 5 '' cylinder is a little overkill for the size of the machine?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Yep, they can be quite stubborn
Glad you finally had the upper hand. :cool: