• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 590SM A/C and Fan Not Working

B Sampson

Hey guys,
I am a new first time owner of a Case back hoe, the fan does not turn on when I turn the knob so of course the AC doesn’t work either. Any suggestions as to where to start trouble shooting to get the fan and AC working????

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Since you have no speeds on the fan I would of course check fuses first then check for voltage at the back of the switch. If you get the fan circuit fixed and get not AC and have a amber AC fault light you will need the AC serviced.

B Sampson

The back hoe is a 2003,
590 Super M. It is supposed to have AC so I would really like to get it working correctly. Any insight at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....

B Sampson

I guess so I can find/locate everything on this machine I will need to invest in a repair manual. Could anyone confirm that 6-41490 is the correct case part # for the manual I need to buy????

Tinkerer

I guess so I can find/locate everything on this machine I will need to invest in a repair manual. Could anyone confirm that 6-41490 is the correct case part # for the manual I need to buy????
Welcome to HEF, B Sampson !
There are three different versions (series) of the 580SM. You need to determine which one you have before buying the service manual.

B Sampson

It’s actually a 590 Super M
as stated above, just to clarify.
And I believe it’s a Series 1 as it does not say Series II on the serial # plate. Is there any other tell tale ways to make sure which series the machine actually is????? I am learning as I go here and want thank you guys for taking time to answer my novice questions.

wldhoss

I lost power to the fan on my 580 SN. To find the problem, I removed the ceiling headliner. Checked for power at the fan. Found the ground wire was interrupted. Added a new ground wire. All has been good.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Remove the blower switch and check it Case had some that would get hot and melt terminals.

B Sampson

Can anyone guide me to make sure I get each wire to the correct terminal? There are 5 wires and I plan to splice on a short 6” jumper to the cut off wires. But only one is red and the other 4 are white and look very similar to each other.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The red is power of course. I’m thinking the others should be numbered and control fan speeds. You could do trial and error for correct positions. Your speeds are controlled by resistor attached to fan housing.