• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 590 transmission noise

Nick Abdallah

Hey I just bought our first backhoe an old 1994 Case 590 SK 4x4 and it runs great but I'm getting a loud noise coming from the transmission but only in 3rd and 4th gear when I'm in 1st and 2nd its smooth has plenty of power but soon as you shift to 3rd and get up to speed it makes a grinding howling sound also dose it with the outriggers out with the wheels off the air in drive forward and reverse.I checked the fluid its clean a little overfilled about 1 inch over from the full line. Any one know what this might be? It has 7500 hours on it

Vetech63

Well I guess it could be but I can't get it to do it at all in the lower 2 gears only 3rd and 4th
It could still be the rear end. If your getting a bearing failure it will make more noise the faster you go (higher gears). You also have a 4x4.....the noise can transfer through the drive system also. I would remove the drivelines with it up in the air and run to start troubleshooting.

Nick Abdallah

It could still be the rear end. If your getting a bearing failure it will make more noise the faster you go (higher gears). You also have a 4x4.....the noise can transfer through the drive system also. I would remove the drivelines with it up in the air and run to start troubleshooting.[/QUOT when I have it up in the air in 2wd it dose it. How big of a job is it to do the rear end I know on this model the rear end and transmission are one unit

Nick Abdallah

I would check the outer axle bearings for side play first. Check the pinion bearing also. Most failures I have seen are there usually.
Ok thanks. also the noise is heard when your on the road In a higher gear and you drive over a bump when the backhoe starts rocking then its really noticeable

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Should be center of the back wheel park with the 2 allan head bolts parallel to the ground and pull one out should be some oil real close to the top of the hole.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
@Nick Abdallah
If your machine is an early 590 - I don't think you will have those planetary hubs on your rear hubs. (It will have the phase 3 580sk transaxle.)
The hubs will only be on the front axle if 4WD.

Re- your noise - best place to start is by draining the oil & removing the transmission suction screen.
If there is anything serious happening you will likely find some indication there. (ie bearings, thrust washers ... teeth)

Last edited:

Nick Abdallah

I was thinking this was a 590SL and not a 580SK. I would first do what alrman said and change oil and check suction screen. Also check for any play in axle shafts.
Attached is a picture of the hub the guy I bought it from told me it's a 1994 590sK but it just has 590 Turbo on the side of it the serial number is JJG0208306

Attachments

• 20190210_134900.jpg
    20190210_134900.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 14

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Where did you find the serial number? The hub looks like the hub on a 580SK. Where is the four speed shifter, in the floor or in the right hand console?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
the shifter is on the right hand console just a short one I got the serial number from in the cab when you open the left door
OK cool so it has the large transmission in it. You might have a synchronizer issue but I'd check for play in rear axles, also does the noise quit when you apply brakes on either side one at a time? Again check oil level and type it should be a good hydraulic type oil.

Nick Abdallah

OK cool so it has the large transmission in it. You might have a synchronizer issue but I'd check for play in rear axles, also does the noise quit when you apply brakes on either side one at a time? Again check oil level and type it should be a good hydraulic type oil.
It's hard to get it to make that noise with the wheels off the ground it's gets worst the faster you go and when the backhoe hits a bump and bounces but I cannot hear it in 1st or 2nd. The fluid in the transmission looks clean and just above the full line. Are those hubs the ones that have separate oil to the planatary gears ?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
There is only one oil level to worry about, checked by the dipstick, as you have already done.

Does the machine have standard lug tyres fitted to it?
These can become very noisy at high speeds, the lugs can distort creating transmission type noises.
The lugs can look very uneven when this happens - can you post a close up pic of your rear tyres?

The only way you can check for sure is by swapping the rear wheels off another machine.

To check for play at the rear axles, as @Coy Lancaster has mentioned, raise the rear wheels off the ground, switch off the engine, & by hand, push against the rear wheels - A perfect set of bearings with preload will have zero movement. Often there is some movement there. obviously, the lesser amount you have the better condition the bearings will be.

Nick Abdallah

There is only one oil level to worry about, checked by the dipstick, as you have already done.

Does the machine have standard lug tyres fitted to it?
These can become very noisy at high speeds, the lugs can distort creating transmission type noises.
The lugs can look very uneven when this happens - can you post a close up pic of your rear tyres?

The only way you can check for sure is by swapping the rear wheels off another machine.

To check for play at the rear axles, as @Coy Lancaster has mentioned, raise the rear wheels off the ground, switch off the engine, & by hand, push against the rear wheels - A perfect set of bearings with preload will have zero movement. Often there is some movement there. obviously, the lesser amount you have the better condition the bearings will be.
That's the best picture I have when I lift the rear wheels off the ground I can't feel any play in them

Attachments

• 20190203_201535.jpg
    20190203_201535.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18